Fish Died Trying to Find Out Why

GRiLLeRS

Reefing newb
Ive had 7 damsels in my tank for 10 days now and they were trhiving eating well and loving there new setup. I added 2 powerheads to my tank setup last night which kicked up some crap from the bottom of the tank which eventually settled. When i woke up this morning my 2 domino damsels were dead but my 3 blue damsels and 2 camo damsels were fine. All my levels are ok so im curious as to what could have happened. The domino damsels seemed to love the new current as they were surfing in it. I did however leave the jets on all night - I'm runnin a 1400 and a 750 in a 125 gallon 6' tank one on each end. The 1400 I have pointed towards the top to move the water around and the 750 is aimed down behind my live rock to get a flow around the bottom. should these jets be on a timer?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think the water movement would cause any deaths. My powerheads are on all the time. Did you add them all at once?
Can we get the actual numbers from the test?

Did you let your tank cycle before adding the fish?

It's a new tank, and you shouldn't add a bunch of fish to a new tank -- they usually die. Let the tank cycle first (which usually takes 3 to 4 weeks), then add 1 fish at a time, leaving a 3 to 4 week period in between additions.

Also, damsels are very aggressive and territorial. They will usually kill each other.

Your powerheads should be on 24/7.

Is the tank really only 2 weeks old?
If so, I would be checking all the parameters.
Specifically

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Also, Damsels can be very agressive. Could the ones that died have been attacked?

Ive had the tank up and running since xmas when my wife gave it to me. I just recently added the damsels roughly a week to 10 days ago and as for the territorial thing they would have their lil skirmishes but nothing that lasted longer then 5 seconds. there is a lot of room in the tank with plenty of hiding spots and rock so they all kind of had their own areas to themselves. They seemed fine last night and werent doing anything out of the ordinary. As for the actual levels I couldn't tell you my wife took a sample to the LFS down the street and he said everything was ok. Also whats involved with cycling i left everything running for 3 weeks went to the lfs and they said i could start adding fish - I'll admit i may have overdone it with 6 damsels and 2 shrimp right off the bat but i was impatient after only staring at 900 bucks worth of live rock. should i let the tank go thru another cycle before trying to add anything??

But if adding all 7 at once is so bad why did it take 10 days for them to die. they were fine and very active up until this morning. Just got home from work and 2 of my blue damsels are chillin on the floor still alive though and one blue is fine and my camo one is m.i.a.

They were even acclimated wrong....the guy at the lfs told me to float the bag for 30-45 min then cut a hole. Now I know about the proper way of doing it so to be honest I'm surprised these guys made it at all. Looks like I must just be patient and wait a couple weeks until everythings ok

But if adding all 7 at once is so bad why did it take 10 days for them to die.

Ever hear of the straw that broke the camels back?....We all know that a straw won't break a camels back....but at some point if you keep piling on straws..the last one will.

To use another analogy, in your case the bacteria needed in the water was in great shape when you introduced all of the fish.... There was plenty to go around and the bacteria was hungry...but 10 days later that same bacteria just can't keep up...It's eaten it's fill. It can't eat anymore.

If you add fish slowly, 3-4 weeks between fish, it gives the bacteria enough time to "Stretch it's stomach" so to speak.

+1 PRC...your water was new and clean...once they eat and poop and pee, it turns to ammonia, making it toxic.

They were even acclimated wrong....the guy at the lfs told me to float the bag for 30-45 min then cut a hole. Now I know about the proper way of doing it so to be honest I'm surprised these guys made it at all. Looks like I must just be patient and wait a couple weeks until everythings ok

Just FYI, you should never put lfs water into your tank. You never know if they treat their tanks w/ copper, which means your tank will have the copper and you can't get it out. It will make your tank toxic to any cuc or corals you might want down the road.

Live and learn :) Be mindful of ANY LFS advice (even the reliable ones)-- in the end, they just want your money.

I am not good at patience! LOL But when it comes to my tank I am certainly taking my time with the fish part. You are the only thing they have to depend on to live the best thing you can do is take your time.

You will learn all you need to know just read read and read some more! And ask questions before you do anything to get an idea of what to do.

Back