fish died

raylmaier

Saltwater Guy
Ok I have had this tank going for about two or three months. I have a clean up crew and I bought a Blue damsel first. He was in there for about a month and then I added two clown fish. Well just about a two weeks ago I was going to work in the morning and looked at my fish and they all had white spots all over them. I tested my water and everything was good. They wouldnt eat and they were swimming really slow. So I went and bought a bottle of ich killer from the lfs. It was safe for all the animals so it said. Well first my damsel died. Then two days later one of my clown fish died. Then everything seemed ok for about three days and then the last clown fish died. I do water changes every two weeks. I do mix my own salt with tap water and I now know that your not suppose to do that. But my clean up crew is still alive? So why did my fish die and not my clean up crew? And I also read that I should leave the tank empty from fish for 8 weeks so the ich will die off. I just wish this hobby was easier I really like the looks of the tank when everything is going ok.

Sorry to hear that...I'd leave the tank empty for a few weeks and keep doing water changes to remove that medicine/chemical out your tank. Sounds like the fish succumbed to the ich, and the medicine did not work. Any ich medicine/chemical out there that states it is reef safe, will 100% of the time not work. Sorry again.

+1 everyone In fact, this is a great new start for you because once all the ich has died, if you qt and treat ALL your new fish before putting them in, no amount of stress will cause them to break out with spots because it will no longer exist in your tank.

Ok I have had this tank going for about two or three months. I have a clean up crew and I bought a Blue damsel first. He was in there for about a month and then I added two clown fish. Well just about a two weeks ago I was going to work in the morning and looked at my fish and they all had white spots all over them. I tested my water and everything was good. They wouldnt eat and they were swimming really slow. So I went and bought a bottle of ich killer from the lfs. It was safe for all the animals so it said. Well first my damsel died. Then two days later one of my clown fish died. Then everything seemed ok for about three days and then the last clown fish died. I do water changes every two weeks. I do mix my own salt with tap water and I now know that your not suppose to do that. But my clean up crew is still alive? So why did my fish die and not my clean up crew? And I also read that I should leave the tank empty from fish for 8 weeks so the ich will die off. I just wish this hobby was easier I really like the looks of the tank when everything is going ok.

I hope you will have no more tank killing disasters. Please read this so you won't: https://www.livingreefs.com/marine-aquarium-disasters-and-prevent-them-t20514.html

Back