Fish Died.

Fockdaddy

Reefing newb
So basically over the past two days I lost both my fish one to ich and the other died for unknown reasons. Basically I'm going to completely re-do my entire tank. I don't mind re-doing it cause it's such a small tank but I want to re-do it because I heard ich doesn't leave the tank unless you qt the tank for 8 weeks. Rather than do that I'm going to just change the filter/bio wheel and clean everything very well. I will put putting new water and sand as well. I have a live rock though and a few blue leg crabs that I want to keep alive in another tank while this one re-cycles. Will the crabs and snail carry over the ich disease (on their shell or anything). I will also hope to keep the one live rock I have alive in the spare tank as well. I was also wondering if the live rock will hold any of the ich disease either. Please let me know. Thanks.

You can completely re-do a tank with all new stuff,even new live rock.But the minute you put a fish in there,your putting ick back in the tank too.
Your better off just leaving the tank fishless for 8 weeks or so.Unless of course you just don't like the substrate you have.
But in a 12 gallon with live rock,it's probably not going to cycle.So you'd be safe to just put your stuff back in.

I meant I'm getting a new tank a brand new tank. I was just wondering if I can keep my old crabs and snail, and one live rock that I have.

I won't going much bigger around 17 gallons, I just want to know if the live rock and the crabs /snail will carry over the ich disease in any way.

Most fish carry diseases. Whether they get it or not often times depends on the quality of their care. Quarantining with medication can help or it may just stress out your fish. The best thing to do is to provide the fish with good water quality so they don't succumb to disease.

It can be carried over in the water. But it cannot survive without a fish host. So the only way to eradicate it from everything is to leave everything fish-less for 8 weeks.

They can carry it over in the water. It only takes a drop, So I would keep the rock & crabs seperate for @ least 8 weeks if you plan on putting fish in within that time frame. You will also want to set up a qt tank & treat new fish with copper or hyposalinity if you want to keep ich out of the new setup.

Back