Fish Diet, Feeding Practices, and Nutrition

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I know we've had "what do you feed" threads before, but I'd like to look a bit deeper into what we should be feeding our fish for proper nutrition, overall health and strong immune systems.

I mentioned in another thread about having some issues with ich on my tangs. My tank has become the TTD... Tang Tank of Death. :death: I know that Tangs are more susceptible to the disease, but if they were strong enough they should be able to fight if off like we would fight off the common cold or the flu. Unfortunately that has not been the case for me.

I was doing some research about ways of dealing with ich, treating it, quarantining, etc and in my research I came across some info on fish nutrition and how it obviously plays a big part in a fish's ability to fight off infection/disease. I never really thought about it much before, I just figured if the fish were eating, they were healthy. But this got me thinking about how to handle the fact that we have all 3 kinds of fish in our tank; Herbivores, Carnivores, and Omnivores. I knew this and because of this I've always fed Rod's Food Original because it has a mix of everything in it, and then for the Tangs put a piece of nori on a veggie clip. Everyone in the tank would go after the rod's food (soaked in garlic and sometimes Vit C) and just the tangs would go for the nori when there was nothing else floating around. But now I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't enough of an Herbivore diet for them. How do you make sure that each fish is getting what it really needs?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on feeding, especially how you deal with having mulitple fish with a wide range of dietary needs. When, what, how much, additional supplements/vitamins used, etc.

I know most will say that every fish must be quarantined when you get it, and if ich arises in the tank, every fish must be removed for a couple months. But also during my research I've found just as many people saying they have done this and ich returned. Or that the quarantine process is too stressful on the fish. But what really got me thinking was the nutrion aspect and the ability of the fish to fight the infection time and time again, and that's what I'd like to talk about here and not wether you should quarantine or not. That a topic for a whole different discussion.

This is a sticky over at RC that has a lot of interesting info and I'd like to hear how you guys feel about it and how your own feeding practices compare/relate and your experiences.
Reef Central Online Community - View Single Post - Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

Thanks!

I see you are adding vitamin C, but there are other amino acids and vitamins that may need to be supplemented. I use Selcon:

American Marine Selcon

There are other brands -- I think one is called Zoocon or something? They basically do the same thing.

As for feeding, I feed the same way you do. A mix of different foods, with seaweed sheets to supplement the herbivores.

This is an iffy subject too...i do not use any vitamins or supplements of any kind...never did...my tank did get ich a year ago(long story,some may remember it) ,i lost one fish(yeah,a tang)...i feed a lot of the same foods we eat...such as spinach,broccoli,table shrimp,scallops, ect...I probably lost that tang because i did not use all the stuff out there that helps them fight off such things...IMO though ,a healthy system doesn't have ich in it...I solved my ich issue and still don't use garlics,selcon ,or c....:twocents:

Even if you are not worried about ich, Nemo, it's a good idea to still make sure your fishs' foods are fortified and vitamin enriched.

I agree,but something about soaking the food in a solution of stuff doesn't seem right to me,and i'm not here to say don't do it,just that i don't.....the vitamin c contained in spinach and brussel sprouts alone, is 50 and 90%...i'm sure i 'm going to get it for this too,but about once a week i chop up a strawberry and toss it in...been doing that for a year now ....IDK why,just tried it one day and they went nuts..its also almost all natural vitamin c...yes, i know it has citric acid,but thats why i only do it 1 x a week...
I guess i just don't want to spend the money on the stuff when i think i can get it from foods from the store...so far i have no fish losses from starvation or malnutrition,and they are growing, fat and pretty:D ...if i did start to see a drastic turn in my fish ,i probably would link it to the way i feed them...but what would be considered a good time line to judge that??

I'm not sure. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong either, I just think that we can't possibly provide them with the variety of foods they get in the wild, no matter how hard we try. We can't match their natural diet. So extra vitamins won't hurt. Anything they don't use gets peed and pooped out (just like in people). For example, the amino acids they require... I don't know the amounts that they require those in, and I don't know if what I feed them every day contains those amino acids in the correct amount. At least if I add Selcon, I know that they are getting what they need.

Your system has been working for you, and my system has been working for me -- most of my fish are 5+ years old, some of them are 10 years old. There is no "right way" I guess...

Dennis is looking for ideas about what he can do differently. I think adding a multi-vitamin like Selcon can possibly make things better. It can't make things worse! But adding Selcon isn't a sure-fire way to prevent his fish from getting ich in the future, either. I don't think there's a silver bullet if you aren't going to quarantine and treat all the fish in your tank. Sometimes you will get lucky, but other times you won't.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong either, I just think that we can't possibly provide them with the variety of foods they get in the wild, no matter how hard we try. We can't match their natural diet. So extra vitamins won't hurt. Anything they don't use gets peed and pooped out (just like in people). For example, the amino acids they require... I don't know the amounts that they require those in, and I don't know if what I feed them every day contains those amino acids in the correct amount. At least if I add Selcon, I know that they are getting what they need.

Your system has been working for you, and my system has been working for me -- most of my fish are 5+ years old, some of them are 10 years old. There is no "right way" I guess...
Well said..:Cheers:

Rods food makes more specialized diets than just their orginal formula. They have a fish only, coral only, herbivores. I have only seen the orginal so I figured I would mention it

Rods food makes more specialized diets than just their orginal formula. They have a fish only, coral only, herbivores. I have only seen the orginal so I figured I would mention it

Right, but my tank is not species specific which is why i stuck with the original. Figured I was covering all my bases. Maybe not.

It seems to me that people don't really sit down and think about this.
We just feed, and if the fish looks like he's eating, we assume that's good.
But is it?
Could you survive on nothing but McDonald's every day?
We are Omnivores and can adapt to being vegetarians, but we still need to supplement to be completely healthy. If we were herbivores, we could not survive on mickey d's even though there some veggie matter in there.

Your right, variety is key IMO,my tank gets about 15 different types of food on a rotation,and they all eat whatever i put in.I do still buy some foods for fish,i just don't add anything,such as Mega Marine Angel ,Mega Marine Algae,Formula 2,and Trigger Formula
,and Micky D's is gross:lol:

Dude, I lubs me a big Mac. :D

But ya I think you have a good handle on things. All I've been feeding is rods and a little nori. But then I think Winy was feeding her huge tanks mostly New Life Spectrum pellets and her fish were super healthy.

I guess we can look at ourselves and apply it to feeding our fishes.We don't gorge ourselves one feeding a day but many of us thinks that is okay for fishes.That sure isn't natural for fish to gorge food for a few minutes each day in the wild.

Give your fish a healthy breakfast,lunch and dinner.

I guess we can look at ourselves and apply it to feeding our fishes.We don't gorge ourselves one feeding a day but many of us thinks that is okay for fishes.That sure isn't natural for fish to gorge food for a few minutes each day in the wild.

Give your fish a healthy breakfast,lunch and dinner.

....agreed

The more natural your fishes diet is,the better health your fish are going to be in.IMO
I feed my tank maybe once a month.But my fish are fat and healthy.Never had ich or anything else that I know of.
My tangs are always picking something off the rocks.The Chromis are are getting something,right along with my Mandrine and Swallow-tail Angel ( which hides in the rock when the lights are on ) come out and feed all night.
When the lights are out,my tank looks like it has a swarm of knats in because of all the pods in the water.My snails spawn at least once every two weeks,which really brings out the feeder tentacles on my corals.

The more natural your fishes diet is,the better health your fish are going to be in.IMO
I feed my tank maybe once a month.But my fish are fat and healthy.Never had ich or anything else that I know of.
My tangs are always picking something off the rocks.The Chromis are are getting something,right along with my Mandrine and Swallow-tail Angel ( which hides in the rock when the lights are on ) come out and feed all night.
When the lights are out,my tank looks like it has a swarm of knats in because of all the pods in the water.My snails spawn at least once every two weeks,which really brings out the feeder tentacles on my corals.

You feed you tank only once a month?:shock:

This is a great thread... I am very interested in this as well... with a some expensive fish soon to be in the new tank. It would be great if I they all lived :D

Back