Fish Foods

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
Any recommendations for fish foods? I haven't gotten any fish yet, but I am waiting for my cycle to complete and want to order some food in advance. I love getting packages. Anyway I am most likely getting 2 clownfish of some sort, a goby, a wrasse, and maybe a Clown Beauty. I will also have a bunch of snails and maybe a cleaner shrimp or two. Please give me an idea of some good brands that have worked for you. Thanks!

I make my own. (ideas came from biff) had to throw that in there so i wouldnt be in the e-doghouse. Last time i went to my lfs and got emerald entree, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, plankton, krill, and maybe cyclpeese i dont remember then went to the store and bought some uncooked shrimp scallops and oysters. got a bottle of selcon food booster and garlic extract, jammed it all together. blended it up and poured it in mini ice cube trays. it made so much food its rediculous.

Just use frozen foods.
I like to feed a mix of mysis,krill,cyclops,rotifers,marine cuasine,emerald entrae.

hows the smell of making your own fish food and keeping them in the freezer. I live with 2 roommates so I am not sure keeping trays of fish food would be appreciated by them. Maybe when I eventually get my own place it will be a strong possibility though.

made it in the garage..... smelled like hell when I did it, but afterwards its alll goooood. I mean once its frozen it can't smell. just like your other frozen food.

get a variety of food based on the nutrition needs of your fish. Herbivores will need nori sheets but will usually take emerald entree. carnivores will dig marine cuisine, and krill. most fish will eat mysis shrimp. I would avoid brine shrimp - they are not nutritious enough to be any good for the fish

-Doc

Avoid any pellets or flake foods. Those contain ash which leads to algae problems. I feed ONLY frozen foods and dried seaweed sheets for my fellow vegetarian fishy friends. Buying pre-packaged frozen foods is the easiest way to go, they come in cubes, all you have to do is pop a cube into a cup of tank water, let it thaw, then dump it in the tank. I rotate through about 10 different types of frozen foods to give my fish a variety. Mostly mysis shrimp, cyclopeeze, Rod's food, Emerald Entree, Marine Cuisine, krill, squid, and sometimes brine shrimp.

I buy my frozen food in bulk amounts online at Premium Aquatics.I feed the Cyclpeeze Freezer bar,Rod's food which is considered the best food out there and PE mysis.I also mix in some Ocean Nutrition prime reef and formula two for the tangs.Don't forget to get some sea weed sheets for herbivorous/omnivorous fish like tangs.I use at least 2 dozen different types of food for corals,crusties and fish.

Now I don't have any fish yet, but when I do I will prob have around 4-5 maybe. About how fast do they go through these food packs. What would you say is the average cost per week for that many fish?

I spend about $120 for about 3 months worth of food.
18 fishes,8 shrimps,and to many corals to count.Pick up some garlic extract and vitamin enhancer like Selcon.Those two products really helps keep fish healthy and vibrant.

For CHEAP frozen food, I make my own out of human seafood from the grocery store. I used a mix of mussels, scallops, shrimp, squid, oysters, clams, and other stuff like that. Be sure you ONLY buy raw and un-seasoned seafood! Then I added a bunch of frozen cyclopeeze, garlic extract and Selcon and put it all in the blender. Pour the goo into mini ice cube trays, freeze them, move them to a ziplock bag. I spent about $40 on seafood and that batch will last me about six months. And I have close to 30 fish in my tank.

any places online to look that will give me a step by step on how to make the fish food you are talking about. I know it seems easy, but I'd rather do it perfect.

Back