Fish Fry?

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
I moved a piece of rock to my QT yesterday so I could treat the little aiptasia anemones that had popped up. It was a lot easier to access them there. I decided to leave the rock in the QT overnight, just to make sure the little buggers were totally gone. This morning, after I tuned on the lights, no more aiptasia! Thank you AiptasiaX!

I also noticed that there were many little critters crawling around on and in the egg crate that sits on the bottom of my QT. I thought it was neat to watch. I saw several large pods, a teeny little brittle star, and fish fry! Now, I KNOW my clowns didn't mate. This rock came from another reefer's tank. I must have stolen thier clown's eggs. I can only guess that they are clown fry. They are too microscopic to show up on my camera (althrough I tried :mrgreen:).

I know they won't survive, and I don't have any phyto spawning in my cabinet, like Biff. :bowdown: But it was still neat to show my kids.

Congrats on the fry. You should consider leaving the rock in QT for a few days as the aips tend to take a few days before they pop up again. I have found that it usually takes 2 or 3 treatments to be completely rid of them. Good luck!

You should consider leaving the rock in QT for a few days as the aips tend to take a few days before they pop up again. I have found that it usually takes 2 or 3 treatments to be completely rid of them. Good luck!

Ah! Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually going to move it back into the DT today. It does have some coral on it and I only have PCs over the QT. Think they will be alright under those for a couple of days?

Are clowns the only fish that breed in captivity?

The corals should be ok under pc's for a few days just acclimate them back to the DT lights when you return the rock if there is a big difference in the lights over the DT and QT. As far as the fry, I know they breed chromis, seahorse, and cardinals in captivity plus I believe that they are successfully breeding angels and/or dwarf angels, though I am not positive. Possibly others too...

You sure it's not live mysis? They kind of look like fry.

I was kinda thinking this. Clownfish eggs won't survive without the father constantly fanning them -- they grow a fungus very quickly and it kills them. I can't imagine that any eggs could have survived on that rock without the parents. And clown eggs are VERY noticeable -- they are bright colored and large in size.

Live shrimp look exactly like fish fry -- brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. Lots of people have live brine and/or mysis in their fuges. My guess is that it's one of those, not baby fish.

Probably would be live shrimp. I've not seen either before, so it would be hard for me to tell the difference. Thanks for letting me know!

Back