Fish gone Wild

sen5241b, switch it onto the smallest DC voltage range the 200m and use 2 leads from the bottom two connections

Stick the black ground probe into the ground on an outlet and stick the hot ( red ) probe in the tank.Then just read the numbers.

Stick the black ground probe into the ground on an outlet and stick the hot ( red ) probe in the tank.Then just read the numbers.

I set it at 200 DCV and it the reading jumps between zero and 2. If I set it lower to 200 mv or 200 mv it jumps more wildly.

It sounds like reeffreak's description is the closest to what I have so far.

If you are getting a reading of 2 at 200 then you have a problem! unplug your equipment 1 by 1 and see where it is originating from!

I disagree on using the 200m DC setting. That would mean 2 on that setting would be 2 millivolts. On most meters the m means it reads out in milli volts which is 1/1000th of a volt. Try using the 200 VAC and 20 VDC setting to check for voltage. Also the accuracy of most voltmeters is +/- 2 so either way your close enough to call zero.

I disagree on using the 200m DC setting. That would mean 2 on that setting would be 2 millivolts. On most meters the m means it reads out in milli volts which is 1/1000th of a volt. Try using the 200 VAC and 20 VDC setting to check for voltage. Also the accuracy of most voltmeters is +/- 2 so either way your close enough to call zero.

Any stray voltage you are picking up should be from radio waves, etc.. this should be on the order of milli or microvolts... while my experience is pretty much non-existent in saltwater tanks I am an electrical engineer and would be really surprised if you had a 2 volt charge anywhere in your tank. You also need to remember that it is current that is what actually hurts you (or your livestock) in this case and even a relatively low voltage can cause a shock.

basically if you are reading 2 volts you should put it on the 20V setting for the most accuracy and if you are still reading 2 volts at that setting then there is 2 volts. The accuracy on a voltmeter is usually a percentage of the range so at the 20 volt range you would be like at +- 0.2 V or something i would assume.

I would really really recommend you at least take the 2 minutes to check. if you are able to without messing anything up just unplug the whole shebang and see if you are having the same readings. then you know for sure.

I think we figured out it's really not a voltage issue causing it to swim that way? Is it still just doing laps? I'm thinking more along the lines of the parasite really.

You are probably right VA, Just saw something that could be a problem and is an easy thing to check so wanted to make sure he didn't gloss over it

yeah just trying to steer the conversation back to the fish. I'd love to discuss electrical theory with you some time though.

When I get home to today I'm going to re-check the current.

But I also need to consider a parasite treatment with something. ?? The Chromis will be easy to catch --last time I did a water change he tried to get in the jug I used to scoop out water.

I think he swims continuously to keep his metabolism high in an attempt to expel parasites.

Lets see....A bottle of PraziPro costs $10.00 a new Chromis costs $5.00.. I just don't like the idea of dumping chemicals into a tank....it freaks me out.

Ok so there is NO current and he is still going in circles except to eat. The fish cost $8 and coincidentally the medicine cost $8. I will let LR decide:

should he live or should he die?

Back