Fish Have ICh i have a question !!!

Sp my proteing skimmer is on now for a couple days and its not getting any like dark green stuff like most i see, instead its getting light greenish brown water in it ?? about a 1/2 inch every day is this good ?

skimmer have a break in period, and they also need to be fine tuned. You do this by adjusting the depth of water the skimmer is sitting in and by changing the amount of air delivered to the pump

Also, you now only have two fish. They won't be producing a lot of waste like when you had a lot more fish. You can expect to see the skimmer collect less when the water is cleaner.

If you were expecting to see a lot of dark green stuff, it makes me wonder if you are having a pretty serious algae outbreak in your tank right now.... are you?

No actually im not. I actuallt ha e diatoms still but its just a bit not that bad it ki.da went away a little then came back a bit and now its going away again. Bit its not bad.

So i have a question how long after the clows clear up should i wait to add a fish ??? My Fish still show signs of ich but they look better and are still eating like crazy im just wonderign ones there better and have no signs how long should i wait ??? And would a kole tang be a good fish to start of with ??

I would add a kole tang last...they're labeled peaceful, but from mine and a few peoples' experiences, they can be aggressive. Mine was fine at first, then started bullying my watchman goby to death...then he started in on my lawnmower blenny (both fish were in the tank for a year prior to the kole). Had to ditch him. But definitely should be added last.

So i have a question how long after the clows clear up should i wait to add a fish ??? My Fish still show signs of ich but they look better and are still eating like crazy im just wonderign ones there better and have no signs how long should i wait ???

It doesn't matter because the ich will still be there no matter what. The medication you used doesn't get rid of it completely, so there's a good chance it will keep coming back.

I would wait at least a month after your clowns are healthy (no longer showing outward signs of ich) before you consider adding a new fish. You shouldn't rush the process and your tank is new. In the mean time, I'd suggest putting together a list of the various fish you would like to add to your tank so that you can plan out your stocking order. Tangs and dwarf angels should come last on the list. You're welcome to post your list here for feedback and to get advice on stocking order.

Well here some of the fish we want
2 black and white heniocus,
yellow tang
kole tang
also some fire fish
sand sifting goby
a mandarin
a flame angel
i also like the bi color angel but i hear there hard keepers.
would also like to eventually get the long nose butterfly or cooperband again.
we also love the Koran angel but they get to big for my tank

Oh yeah also im thinking of doing corals, But mostly hard corals so yeah.

we like stuff with lots of color if you guys can sugest some i can google and take a look at them.

Also you can only have one dwarf angel per tank, otherwise they will fight to death, but the bicolor isnt any harder to keep. However, they arent reef safe, they are well documented coral eaters

Why are you still planning on getting more butterflies? You know first hand how hard they are to keep, and that they are expert only fish. The rest of the fish would be fine, but in this hobby there are just some fish that are not meant to be kept.

https://www.livingreefs.com/do-your-research-first-t26793.html

Well i might not get the cbb but i think i might get the long nose fore sure, and the heniocus for sure also just planning on waiting for my tank to be more established. Im getting i nice set of LED's for my tank maybe next month then from there im going to start adding corals first then slowly add fish.

Will the ich Die out in a tank with no fish but with corals ??

Im thinking of just returning the clowns and just doing corals for a couple months so that the ich can die out, them im planning a quaretine tank where i will treat the fish with small ammounts of copper for a couple weeks then i will see how they do for a couple weeks before moving them to the display tank.

Well i might not get the cbb but i think i might get the long nose fore sure, and the heniocus for sure also just planning on waiting for my tank to be more established. Im getting i nice set of LED's for my tank maybe next month then from there im going to start adding corals first then slowly add fish.

Will the ich Die out in a tank with no fish but with corals ??

Im thinking of just returning the clowns and just doing corals for a couple months so that the ich can die out, them im planning a quaretine tank where i will treat the fish with small ammounts of copper for a couple weeks then i will see how they do for a couple weeks before moving them to the display tank.

Geez, so you still want these fish "for sure" even though you claim that you've done research, so you must know that they will end up dying "for sure"?

I'm sorry, but it's frustrating when someone comes here and asks advice yet refuses to follow it. Read back over all the posts regarding those butterflies -- I summarized them nicely a few pages back. Expert only. Should be left in the ocean. Will starve to death over a period of a couple months. And that doesn't phase you? You still think those are fish you should buy? The reason fish like this are removed from the ocean is because people like you will continue buying them even though their survival rates in captivity are very low. If hobbyists were more responsible and informed, they would not purchase these fish because they know that keeping them in a tank is usually a death sentence for them. When demand drops and people stop buying them, they would stop being taken from the ocean. But people like you don't seem to care if an animal is going to live or die in their tank, they just want it because they are pretty, and who cares if they will survive for more than a couple months. And that's the type of attitude that is terrible in this hobby, which should be (and can be) eco friendly and conscientious of nature.

As for the ich questions, you clearly did not read the article that was linked to you earlier. It answered all of your questions. First off, yes the ich will die off in a tank with no fish and only corals. BUT it has to stay fishless for at least 8 weeks. Next, you can't just treat fish for "a couple weeks" with copper before introducing them. You should follow the instructions on the bottle of the brand of copper that you buy -- and many of them must be used for 8 weeks. PLEASE read this article. You have ignored it and almost all of the advice given thus far. So I'm not sure there's anything anyone can do to help you, since you are going to do what you want anyways (like get butterfly fish)...

https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Last edited:
Geez, so you still want these fish "for sure" even though you claim that you've done research, so you must know that they will end up dying "for sure"?

I'm sorry, but it's frustrating when someone comes here and asks advice yet refuses to follow it. Read back over all the posts regarding those butterflies -- I summarized them nicely a few pages back. Expert only. Should be left in the ocean. Will starve to death over a period of a couple months. And that doesn't phase you? You still think those are fish you should buy? The reason fish like this are removed from the ocean is because people like you will continue buying them even though their survival rates in captivity are very low. If hobbyists were more responsible and informed, they would not purchase these fish because they know that keeping them in a tank is usually a death sentence for them. When demand drops and people stop buying them, they would stop being taken from the ocean. But people like you don't seem to care if an animal is going to live or die in their tank, they just want it because they are pretty, and who cares if they will survive for more than a couple months. And that's the type of attitude that is terrible in this hobby, which should be (and can be) eco friendly and conscientious of nature.

As for the ich questions, you clearly did not read the article that was linked to you earlier. It answered all of your questions. First off, yes the ich will die off in a tank with no fish and only corals. BUT it has to stay fishless for at least 8 weeks. Next, you can't just treat fish for "a couple weeks" with copper before introducing them. You should follow the instructions on the bottle of the brand of copper that you buy -- and many of them must be used for 8 weeks. PLEASE read this article. You have ignored it and almost all of the advice given thus far. So I'm not sure there's anything anyone can do to help you, since you are going to do what you want anyways (like get butterfly fish)...

https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

I see plenty of videos with people that have had cbb and long nose for well over a couple years, and im not saying im going to get them now im saying somewhere down the line, like in a year or so. trust me i plan on taking it very slow on adding fish now. Im thinking of only adding a fish or 2 every other month. As for the ich i did read the article. it says most ich will die off in 6 weeks but in rare case have lasted as long as 70 days i think. but yeah thats why i said im planing on just doing the corals i wanted and then in a couple months start adding fish. By this time the ich should be gone. Also when i was using the 4 weeks of treating with cooper i was just using that as a timeline not exact time. For treating i will defenetly follow the guidelines on the bootle. But i want to do this to insure i dont loose any more fish to ich.

Back