Fish i bought 3 days ago dying

Lukeduke

Reefing newb
I bought 2 blue damsels to try to get a feel for if my tank would be ok to start putting fish in again. The fish i had before all died from a bacterial infection after ich (i assume). i kept all life out of the tank(except three under gravel snails i couldnt find) for two weeks in hopes that any other remaining parasites would not beable to find a host and die. i changed 80% of the water and added 18 pounds of live cultured rock.

i tested the water 3 days ago and all parameters were zero but 10ppm nitrate. pH 7.8, i added some reef buffer pH treatment to bring it up to 8.3 before i put the fish in the tank. i aclimated them very slowly.

I came home from work today and one of the damsels is lying on its side breathing very hard. water test is as follows: ammonia ~.30ppm, pH 7.9, nitrate 15ppm, nitrite 0ppm.

Whats your water temp and salinity?

The ammonia probably came from adding the new fish.And nitrates at 15s not that bad.
How long had your lights been on before you tested your PH?PH falls a bit when the lights are out,because the algae isnt producing oxygen which lets the carbon dioxide level in the water climb.Carbon dioxide is acidic so it causes PH to fall.

Another thing to check for is stray voltage.You'll need a meter for that.But if you know any electricians,You may be able to get their help there.
Hope some of that helps.

i didnt know i needed to wait that long, but this fish looks fine, no discoloration, no spots, just on its side on the sand.

i dont have a hydrometer, temp, is only 71 degrees, wow i didnt know is was that low. can i use a multimeter to test for voltage in the water?

Yeah,that'll work for the voltage.

But you HAVE GOT TO HAVE either a hydrometer or refractometer.
I can just about guarantee you the either your salinity is way to high,or way to low.Either way,your just going to kill every thing you put in there unless you have something to keep salinity in line.

Thats probably from high phosphates and not enough water flow.

But dont worry about that untill you get something to check that salinity.

Like Yote said, get something to measure salinity. You are just wasting money (and lives) by putting animals in the tank when you have no way to test a basic parameter like salinity. Try to get your temps up around 76 to 80. And don't bother testing for stray voltage, just go out and buy yourself a grounding probe, they are super cheap and any LFS will carry them. In my opinion, a grounding probe is a necessity for EVERY tank. Any piece of equipment can put out a current, from powerheads to heaters. The grounding probe just sits in your tank and will remove that risk.

wow salinity so so low..... 1.017

thats what i get for once again going to that stupid fish store you told me not to go to. thats liekly why my pH is low also. he is so fired. i guess it is time to break down and start mixing my own water. no more easy way out for me!

Thats one good reason to invest in a hydrometer.
Even when you buy pre-mixed water,you need something to check the water with.Totally trusting your water to some one else is like handing your car keys to a total stranger and expecting it to still be there when you return.Sooner or later your gonna get burned.

Fish will live in 1.017 expsecially damsles. Invert should'nt though. I would say they died because you added too much and started a cycle. Next time add one fish then give it 2 to 3 weeks and if water is ok then add more. Sorry about your loos and good luck with future fish.

You can get a hydrometer cheap about 10.00 to 15.00 but a refractometer will be better at about 30.00. Some people treat ich with hyposalinity at 1.009 so that wont hurt your fish if you acclimate them right, and give them time to get used to it. Also if you didn't acclimate long enough the drop in the PH will really hurt them.

If your fish are dead (which they may be soon, unfortunately), just add salt to the water.

If they are still alive, remove the water a little at a time, add salt to it, then put it back in. Keep doing this until it gets to the right salinity.

I think salinity like that COULD kill a damsel, if they weren't acclimated long enough.

And for the love of god, STOP going to that store!!!! This dude gives you bad advice over and over again, sells you the wrong stuff, the wrong animals, basically rapes you up the a$$ and takes your money, yet you still come back to his store and support his business! Why? Do you like being ripped off?

I did you a favor and looked up fish stores in Fayetteville, NC in the phone book.

Animal Fair Pet Shops
3907 Bragg Boulevard, Fayetteville NC 28303 (910) 867-6411

Aqua- Rama Pet Center
4937 Bragg Boulevard, Fayetteville NC 28303 (910) 868-3482

Aquarium Pet Shop
4768 Yadkin Road, Fayetteville NC 28303 (910) 864-3457

Eutaw Village Pet Shop
814 Elm Street, Fayetteville NC 28303 (910) 485-7387

Fins Skins & Feathered Friends
504 North McPherson Church Road, Fayetteville NC 28303 (910) 860-7030

Fishy Business
1704 St. Augustine Avenue, Fayetteville NC 28304 (910) 483-1853

Great American Aquatics
5812 Shenandoah Drive, Fayetteville NC 28304 (910) 425-9224

Personal Touch
4768 Yadkin Road, Fayetteville NC 28303 (910) 864-3457

Pet Supermarket
2800 Raeford Road, Fayetteville NC 28303 (910) 484-8577

You have A TON of saltwater stores in your area. PLEASE switch to a different one!!!!

Sorry if this post sounded harsh. But you have had nothing with problems in your dealings with this particular store. I firmly believe that if you switched stores, you would be having a much easier and better time, not to mention all the money you'd be saving.

Biffs kinda like an old momma hen aint she.:mrgreen:

But we still lover.

And shes right.Find another store,one that you can trust and you'll have a whole lot easier time getting started,and spend a whole lot less money.This hobby is already expensive enough,no need to waste money at a sorry store.

Back