Fish keep geting sick & dying!!!!

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
Help, I have been doing SW for a year and ½ now coming fromFW, I have a 110G SW that is doing just fine I have a nice amount of live rock,deep sand bed, a sump/refugim & a skimmer and some easy low light corals, sofar I haven’t lost fish to sickness the only time I have lost fish is when one clown just jump out & my flaming angel did that same. So my point is that I think I’m doing well with keeping a healthy tank & fish.

I had a 29G that was FW & I took it a down, I wanted toget rid of it but my 5 year old did not let me he this that dad has the 110G& the 29 is his
smile.gif

So I made it SW for him, I got live sand, live rock,caulerpa alge growing in the tank, 2 425gph Hydor Koralia Nano & 1 AqueonQuietFlow 55/75 Power Filter & a 2nd one that is Aqueon QuietFlow 30 PowerFilter for extra filtration, my stock list was: 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 2Blue/Green Chromis, 1 Six Line Wrasse, 1 Royal Gramma Basslet, it all starts when my wife got me a Lemonpeel Angelfish for the 29G and & Powder Blue Tang forthe 110G from an on line store. The tang is going great!!! The lemonpeel after4-5 days was dead, & after that all the fish started getting sick, they have had white color spots on them, not ich but more like a fungi type, the only fish that we ok where the Chromis & Six Line Wrasse, so I got all of RubyReef products but I this it was just 2 late that I lost them all one after the other, the only let where the Chromis & Six Line Wrasse. When it was allover I did a water change & I let the tank run for at least one moth if not more, without adding more fish, now about 2 weeks ago I moved 2 OcellarisClownfish from my 110G to my 29G because they where bullied by my ClarkiiClownfish & now they are sick!!!!! & it looks like the same symptoms asthe other fish had & the Chromes & Six Line Wrasse are just doing finewith nothing on them. What’s going on

In order to help, we need more information - how long did you cycle the 29g, how long has it been set up for total, did you add all of the fish at once or over time, and what are your current water parameters?

Way too many fish for a 29. Overstocking creates a breeding ground for disease. You are limited to about 1 fish per 10 gallons -- so 3 fish total. After a disease outbreak, you should leave the tank fishless for at least 8 weeks. Did you test the water parameters while this was happening?

Also, 7 fish in a 29 gallon tank is a lot. I now that isn't the issue at hand, but the stress could very well have weakened the fishes immune system.

Getting back to the disease, I am guessing that the fish you received had this disease and it ran rampant in your tank. The couple fish that were still alive fought it off and just didn't show any symptoms. Then you added more fish that hadn't battled the disease so it started all over again.

Think of it like the common cold. It is always around, just takes a bit of stress and a weakened immune system and you are laying in bed for a few days because you are sick.

But also, more info is needed, like your parameters and how fast you stocked the tank.

3 small fish in a 29??? no more then that, my water parameters are better in the 29G then in my 110G & in my 110G I never lost a fish do to sickness.
I did not stock my tank fast at all, its not my main tank so im not even looking to have it maxout with fish just a small one for my son.

Last edited:
I find that my 29 gallon does best with only 2 fish in it. I have tried multiple times to add one more, and all of a sudden, the parameters are hard to maintain and I have fish being bullied. Then one or two die. It is just how it is. You really can't do much to change that.

Yes, 3 small fish in your 29 gallon tank.

Overcrowding stresses fish out. Stressed fish (like humans) get sick far easier and far faster than healthy fish

My guess is that the angel had something and you didn't quarantine it before adding it to your display tank. Once in that system, whatever it was had a heyday on your stressed fish making them sick

Also, punctuation is your friend. Yes, this is the internet, but I don't want to read a block of one long run on sentence like this which makes it very hard to determine exactly what is going on what is important and what isnt - maybe by reading this you under stand

Also, for the future reference, provide the following when asking about sick fish so that if we get through the run on, we can provide something of benefit

https://www.livingreefs.com/sticky-oh-noez-mah-fish-sick-threads-t34819.html

Back