Fish Question

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
Can you have a blue tang with a coral beauty? I'm trying to make a list of fish I want and depending on what the LFS has it what I'll bring home. I figure if I get small ones they won't outgrow my tank in a few months. I plan on upgrading to at least a 90.

They will get along fine together. But even if you get a small one, remember that they are extremely prone to ich and in a 55 gallon tank, it can easily get stressed out and give ich to all your other fish. A 55 gallon tank is fine for a coral beauty -- they don't get big.

Yeah I agree

I found out real quick that a 55 is no place or a Blue !
The coral beauty is a good choice.
The Blue would have to be awfull small to make it in a 55 for longer than 1 year.

hey i have a a blue tang in my 55 gal for 3 1/2 years now and it does fine.............i got is when it was a inch an 1/2 long and now its about 4 in.

I do plan on upgrading to a 90 at least was thinking of a 125 but it won't go where I want it to. I wouldn't get the blue tang till I do. I'm trying to plan out the fish I want beforeI buy. I did ge a cheap fish today to see if it lives.

IMO, a blue tang needs at least a 6' tank. bubba has been extremely lucky that a blue has even survived in a 55. just my $.02

I personally would put a bule tang in anything smaller that 200 gallons.But thats just me personally.

Ok I'm starting to think twice about the blue tang. So can I put another tang with a coral beauty? If so which one?

I don' think no tang is suitable for a tank that size.Since your upgrading soon then go with Kole or Bristle Tooth since they are of the smaller variety.I'm a big fan of the Purple Tang also.If you get one of those three or another then get the smallest you can get.

I'm thinking of going with a 210g. guppy tank.I'll bet its less of a headache.

Make sure you research the Purple Tang too.They are so pretty.

Make sure you research the Purple Tang too.They are so pretty.

if they are allowed to establish a territory in the tank it will be very hard to add any other tangs. they can be extremely aggressive when established and another tang is introduced. HTH

if they are allowed to establish a territory in the tank it will be very hard to add any other tangs. they can be extremely aggressive when established and another tang is introduced. HTH

I was going to PM you about your experiences with the Purple.There aggressiveness is why I suggested Piggy fully research the Purple Tang.Did you add all the tangs together or was your Purple Tang added last?How are they getting along now?My originally plan was to add a Purple either last or together with a Desjardini Sailfin or Blue Eye Kole.Of course,my tank is busted so everything is on hold.Any feedback would be great Reefkeeper.

I was going to PM you about your experiences with the Purple.There aggressiveness is why I suggested Piggy fully research the Purple Tang.Did you add all the tangs together or was your Purple Tang added last?How are they getting along now?My originally plan was to add a Purple either last or together with a Desjardini Sailfin or Blue Eye Kole.Of course,my tank is busted so everything is on hold.Any feedback would be great Reefkeeper.

my Purple tang was the middle tang added, but he had to compete with a Hippo tang that is 3x his size which was added first. then i added the Chevron tang who is also larger than the Purple tang (about 2x the size). he DID do a little flaring when i first added the Chevron, but after about 6 hours or so ... everything was good. i think i actually SAW the Hippo tang protecting the Chevron tang when the Purple started acting dominant. i guess the Hippo wanted them BOTH to know who the boss was. HTH

Ok Piggy,

I would be remiss not to give my experience with Tangs. The family zebramosa tends to be the most aggressive of the tangs. Blue tangs are the most passive. If you want to get more than one tang, add the smallest, least aggressive first and increase in size and aggressiveness from there. Tangs get super territorial and in a 55 you will not be able to have more than one. Often times I see baby Regal Blue Tangs for sale that would be OK in a 55 for a year or so (I assume you meant Regal Blue Tangs as opposed to Atlantic Blue Tangs, I have had both). Even if you upgrade to a 90, I would not try to house more than one tang. They need length of space to create territory and four feet long is just not enough for multiple tangs.

That being said, you can choose to add about half the different species of tangs in a 90 gallon, as long as they do not reach sizes bigger than 10 inches.

Blue tangs and yellow tangs tend to be more passive. Purple, sohal and powder blues are nasty fellas. Orange shoulder tangs would be OK in a 90 and are not often seen in tanks.

You mentioned wanting to upgrade to a 90 and that space is limited. There is another tank option with a 120. They are 4x2x2 and take up virtually the same space. I would still not try to add two tangs to that size tank, but would give you the option to have more fish and a tang.

Hope something I said is useful.

Yote, 200 is a great size tank, but I think a Regal would be Ok in a smaller tank. My guy is in my 90 right now and has shown no signs of stress. I don't even have a UV sterilizer on the tank and he has no Ich. I think he will be OK.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

Back