"Fish" Requirement

Friday

Reefing newb
I've been doing my research for quite some time now and noticed one thing I've been hearing and reading a lot about when working with reef aquariums. They all mention having crabs and snails in the tank when caring for one. Is this a "requirement" to have these in the tank as a part of the cycle or is it recommended?

While I'm at it, how adequate is a 60 gal tank for a comfortable reef and fish environment? Would you recommend starting off with a larger tank? The reason I ask is I've read around that a good beginner tank size is 55 gallons, so it has me guessing that it isn't going to be adequate in the future?

I've worked with koi ponds for years now, so I think I have a general idea of how things should be, however, an aquarium is a whole new ballgame, so I want to start off on the right foot. :)

Thanks,
Friday.

People have snails and crabs in their tanks as "clean up crew"..clean up after the fish.

In regard to size, 55g is a nice size tank...but it certainly has it's limitations in regard to what fish you can keep. The general rule of thumb is 1 fish per 10 gallons for saltwater, and with a 55 larger fish such as Tangs, Foxface, etc. are out of the picture.

That being said, their is a wide variety of small beautiful reefsafe fish...Alot of members have 55g or smaller.

Hello and welcome to the site...I agree with the above.
Snails and crabs are mostly recommended, but not always suitable. For example in a predator tank where your fish would eat them.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. :) So from what I'm reading a 60 gal tank is definitely a good size for smaller fish. So I guess it just depends on what I'm going for.

Another quick question. I was reading about heater types substrate heating and clip-ons or submersibles. People discussed both ways as one being better than the other, from experience, which would you guys recommend? Would a substrate heater affect the reef compared to a submersible?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. :)

Ive never heard of a substrate heater before, but i would suggest getting two of the regular submersible heater. you get a more even heat that way, and heaters are the number one piece of equipment to break on you in the hobby. With two heaters you have a good back up system.

Dont get really fine substrate if you plan on having a fish that like to build burrows under rocks, it will cloud up the tank everytime it is touched and this happened to me. and it is hell to clean it off the inside of the tank. and the sedement can get in your fishes gills and hurt them

Is the substrate heater you are talking about the flat pad that goes underneath the sand? If so, you don't want to use one of those. When it breaks (and with heaters, it's a matter of when, not if) the only way you'd be able to get to it is by removing all the rocks and sand in your tank. You'd basically be disrupting your entire system, and could kill your livestock off.

Plus, I don't think they make those for tanks larger than a couple gallons. They are really small, aren't they?

+1 biff, they would not be able to power a 60gallon tank and are more hassle then they are worth.

I think you should try to keep things normal.

I have a 60gallon tank and it is perfect, but dont overstock it, I went all the way to 8 fish, now I have four after returning some, please keep the number down.

But, if you end up loving this hobby, you will upgrade that tank when you get the chance :P

So dont go crazy on over pricing this system

Ive never heard of a substrate heater before, but i would suggest getting two of the regular submersible heater. you get a more even heat that way, and heaters are the number one piece of equipment to break on you in the hobby. With two heaters you have a good back up system.

Thanks. Good to know :)

Dont get really fine substrate if you plan on having a fish that like to build burrows under rocks, it will cloud up the tank everytime it is touched and this happened to me. and it is hell to clean it off the inside of the tank. and the sedement can get in your fishes gills and hurt them

Medium sized substrate is definitely the way to go then. Thanks for the tip. :)

Is the substrate heater you are talking about the flat pad that goes underneath the sand? If so, you don't want to use one of those. When it breaks (and with heaters, it's a matter of when, not if) the only way you'd be able to get to it is by removing all the rocks and sand in your tank. You'd basically be disrupting your entire system, and could kill your livestock off.

Plus, I don't think they make those for tanks larger than a couple gallons. They are really small, aren't they?

Yup, it's like a tube that wraps around the bottom of the tank. They come in different lengths if I remember correctly.

Sounds like heaters will be a part to be replaced often? I guess your point about removing the substrate to get to it is also good to note that I shouldn't use an undergravel filter and instead stick to a wet/dry one?

I think you should try to keep things normal.

I have a 60gallon tank and it is perfect, but dont overstock it, I went all the way to 8 fish, now I have four after returning some, please keep the number down.

But, if you end up loving this hobby, you will upgrade that tank when you get the chance :P

So dont go crazy on over pricing this system

Good to note. I think it might be a better idea for me to get a larger tank so I don't end up deciding I want to expand a few months down the line :D (like I might have done with my pond :P )

Glad I decided to join the forums and clear some questions, very helpful thanks :)

You dont want to go with crushed coral substrate btw. It can turn into a crap trap and cause all sorts of water quality issues.

And i wouldnt use either of those filters, i would make a good fuge and invest in a good skimmer or scrubber instead. Those will serve you much better.

You dont want to go with crushed coral substrate btw. It can turn into a ***** trap and cause all sorts of water quality issues.

And i wouldnt use either of those filters, i would make a good fuge and invest in a good skimmer or scrubber instead. Those will serve you much better.

Ah okay. For some reason I thought I needed a protein skimmer and some sort of bio filter.

Any good recommendations for a protein skimmer? I was doing a search for a 100 gal protein skimmer they seem to vary greatly in price. I suppose while it's the build quality, it could be brand? Is there something specific I should be looking for when purchasing one?

I'm looking at these two: Elos Natural Skimmer NS Series Protein Skimmers

Precision Marine Redline Protein Skimmers

I know I sound like a complete beginner, but I gotta start somewhere I guess :p

Thanks.

The best skimmers for the money are the reef octopus skimmers. In this hobby, you get what you buy when dealing with skimmers. A cheap skimmer is a cheap skimmer. Get a good one from the beginning. You also want to buy one rated for twice your water volume.

And you will have a bio filter in your tank, that is what the live rock does.

The best skimmers for the money are the reef octopus skimmers. In this hobby, you get what you buy when dealing with skimmers. A cheap skimmer is a cheap skimmer. Get a good one from the beginning. You also want to buy one rated for twice your water volume.

+! little_fish.........:bounce:

Will check out the Reef Octopus skimmers then.

Thanks for all the help. :)

You dont want to go with crushed coral substrate btw. It can turn into a crap trap and cause all sorts of water quality issues.

Ohhh nooo, I have about half and half in my tank. Is that okay, or should I try to get as much of it out as possible while my tank is cycling? *&%#@&%$#@$% LFS!

Back