Fish "rubbing" against things

Treezer8

Reefing newb
So I've witnessed my clownfish and spotted mandarin sort of twitching or rubbing themselves against the sand, or a rock. But mainly the sand. The clown does it a lot more frequently, and will rub himself on his side against the sand. The mandarin kind of just bounces on the sand or twitches on it. He only does it rarely though.

Has anyone ever witnessed their fish doing this? Does it mean anything? It's just strange to me lol

The one clown has been doing it almost ever since I've had it, and I've had him for over 8 months. Always eats, never had a problem with him. Seems perfectly healthy, just like all other fish in the tank, I was just wondering what this weird action could mean.

It's called 'flashing' and is usually a sign of some sort of parasite on the scales/skin of the fish (ich in most cases)

Are you able to see any white spots on the fish that are doing it?

No. The clown thats doing it is a saddleback, and is mostly black with a few white stripes. I don't see any white spots anywhere on the black of the clownfish. His skin looks perfect to me..Can't see any abnormalities or anything on them.

I've never seen a mandarin with ich and don't know if it possible with their thick slime? My clowns will do the same from time to time but nothing repetitive.

Yeah, I think scale-less fish like Mandarins aren't as prone to ich, I think. Not that they can't get it, but I think they're hardier when it comes to ich. And to treat them you have to use have the dose or something because of their sensitive mucous lining. Not 100% sure though.

Well he only does it sometimes when hes on the sand, and it looks like hes trying to get somewhere faster. Either way, I don't see any signs of ich or illness on either.

There are many many many many many many other pathogens out there besides ich, if they are showing flashing behavior they have some sort of infection. However, it sounds like they are managing on on their own.

Back