Fish upside down?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Okay, I know I keep having ongoing drama with my new addition - sorry about all the posts! So the female red velvet that I thought was dead is apparently still alive. She came out to eat when I fed the tank on Friday. Prior to that she spent about an hour or so out in the open under a coral, floating upside down and breathing very heavily. I thought for sure she was a goner (for the 3rd or 4th time last week). But then she readily swam around eating a few hours later. This morning she's poked her head out of a rock a few times, but I can see she's again upside down. Everytime she's come out, she tends to stay very close to the bottom. She swims more like a goby, dragging herself along the bottom, and often lies on her side. Is this a swim bladder issue? Or is she just odd? I've never seen a wrasse act this way before...

Sounds like the fish already has swim bladder issues - not a good sign.
The fish may be strong enough to swim intentionally, but could have problems hovering. It is usually an indication of injury or illness.

Thought I'd post an update. She's still alive and coming out from the rocks more often for short durations. She is eating every time I feed the tank, and it doesn't appear anyone is bullying her anymore (though the male red velvet is occasionally excitable when she's around). I haven't seen her floating upside down since the beginning of the week, but when she slows down her swimming she does drift into a head stand position, then swims again. I do think there is some sort of swim bladder problem, but I'm hoping that it may be resolving itself since she seems to be improving. I am hopeful that she will continue to improve and settle in to the tank.

Hows does the belly look? does it seem normal size or bloated?
In freshwater fish, certain fish species are prone to constipation if not given a proper diet and it pinches the swim bladder so it could not function properly.
Soft vegetables like crushed green peas are fed to the fish to help flush out the digestive tract. It would only help with constipation though, and is not a cure for bacterial infections or physical trauma to the swim bladder.

Well, she's still with me. She was on her side / upside down again yesterday but came out to eat and swim around, and then also came out to greet me this morning, which she has never done before! If this is a swim bladder problem, then she must be improving - perhaps it was an injury from when she was being bulleid by the basslet and wrasse? All I can say is Divers Den fish must be really hearty for her to be doing so well despite the swim bladder problem!

I'm not sure if this would help any. I sent you a PM a week or so ago. I don't know if you got it. When I received my discus by mail order, I had one that was down for several days. I found this 'treatment' and used it with great success. Might be worth a try....

Swim Bladder Problems

I'm not totally sure of the mechanism of swim bladder problems, but if you remind me I can look at my fish disease book when I get home. But I think this issue developed due to shipping because it showed up so fast. If this had been a trauma from bullying I think she would have bit the bullet

Thanks LF - that would be helpful!

And thanks for the suggestions Baeya, Rockstacker, and Joshlegs. At this point I am reluctant to try any sort of treatment because she would be virtually impossible for me to remove from the tank. I only see her a few times a day, when she swims out into the open and then back into another hole - I can't imagine how I would possibly catch her since she is in the back rocks most of the time. I've kind of taken a watch and wait attitude - if she recovers and makes it on her own I'll be thrilled and if she doesn't then it will be a sad loss. If she gets worse, I doubt I'll even see her because she hides in the rocks, and if she continues to improve on her own then I'll see her more - but at that point will know she's improving and won't want to mess with it. When she's been out in the open, it does seem like her swimming is getting stronger and she's not drifting into a headstand or tailstand as easily. Anyhow, Baeya, I did get your pm and have just been terrible about responding (I am so sorry!) - it is good info to have and thank you!

I'm sad to report that she has gone to the big sea in the sky. I came in to work yesterday and she was swimming around in the tank looking better than I've seen her look. But today I am here feeding everyone, and found her body on the rocks. I don't think she had been gone long, her coloring was still good, no sign of trauma or parasites, and she didn't look like she'd starved to death, so I am guessing whatever was ailing her finally got the best of her. I'm not sure whether I'll try another female or not.

Thanks everyone. You know, I'm not as upset about it as I thought I would be.... given that I'm pretty certain it was a swim bladder problem, I'm actually proud she made it as long as she did in my tank, and am sort of relieved that I don't have to worry about her anymore. And yes, if she was in pain or miserable then I am glad she is out of her misery. It was so strange to drop her in the toilet because she looked soo healthy, I almost expected her to start swimming around. Anyhow, RIP little Ruby

Back