fishless

Novalee

Reefing newb
Hello,

I was on this site several years ago. Looks like it's thriving and doing well. :) I would be grateful if I could get some help with my tank if anyone would be so kind. We have always loved the beach, love the ocean and therefore have a little piece of heaven in my home. My fiance' and I have a 75 gallon reef tank. (I started it and he is all into it which makes me very happy). It has been up and running for years now. I've had fish and live rock but never much luck with corals. I'm sure that was due to water quality. I have learned as I've grown with this hobby. However, about 4 years ago I moved from an apartment into a house and the tank was moved and set up again. The fish lived for a while until I had some lighting and other issues. Unfortunately they perished. My fiance' took up an interest about two years ago when this happened and dived right in, ordering parts, repairing the lights, changing the water religiously. We purchased corals and they are thriving and beautiful! Alas, we cannot get any fish to live now. The LFS's have tested our water repeatedly as well as we've tested it ourself. Everything is good. But we purchased fish- blennies, wrasses, clowns, a tang and they all perish within a day or two. I've even had the guy from a LFS come out and they only scratch their head in puzzlement. Recently we purchased a hippo tang. Bought her on a Saturday, she ate well, was a little shy, but for 6 days she was fine and appeared to be adjusting to her new home eating everyday and picking off the rock. Then I went out of town for two days and when I came back she was bobbing her head on the surface repeatedly and would not eat. There seemed to be a chunk missing from below her top fin on her body, like she scrubbed it and she seemed to be "out of her head constantly bobbing the top of her head up and down along the surface not responding to much of anything". The next morning when I woke up the tang was dead. We cannot bear to see these beautiful fish die, feel like it's our fault somehow and are always very hesitant about buying another but hopeful that it will survive. There is good water flow in the tank and on the surface. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You!

What were your water parameters like?
What type of equipment did you use?
Was there anything in the tank that might have been a predator to the fish in the tank?
Maybe your tank started a mini cycle and that might have posed a problem.

What type of rock are/were you using? Was it live rock or macro rock at all?
Same question with the sand as well.

Sorry to hear about your losses. And welcome back to Living Reefs! There's people who are way more experienced than I so I hope they chime in and put in their $.02

Hello and welcome back to the site...the first thing that came to mind is how are you acclimating the fish to the tank? With saltwater fish you have to slowly get them used to your aquarium water by using the drip method or something along those lines.

Hi All! Thanks for replying Aquatic, Smitty, Amber & Erin!

Aquatic, I will test the water again myself and let you know the parameters. The LFS says it's all good. Currently using 2x150W HQI & 2x96 comp flour.lighting, a sump underneath with a protein skimmer & bio balls, 2 ea Koralia pumps, the temp stays a steady 80 degrees with the heater & lights. There is approx. 60 lbs of live rock and about 2 inches of live sand. Pink coralline is all over the rocks....just about every inch.

We thought maybe there might be a crab in hiding because I had put one in a few years back and at the suggestion of LFS I put a small piece of raw shrimp in the corner and shut off the pumps for a good hour while we watched quietly with only the flourescents on. Nothing at all disturbed it except for the hermit crab after a long while. We have a few small blue & red leg hermits, turbo snails etc.

We have dripped and floated just about all the fish we have purchased to try and make sure they were well acclimated.

The only other thing we may have thought was oxygen levels but the fish do not appear to have labored breathing.

Does any of this help?

Thx!

Take out the bio balls. Going by what i've heard, they're more bad than good. They can attract detritus and such which can cause spikes for your tank. Put in some Chaeto algae in place of the bio balls. :)

Take the bioballs out a little at a time. Like a handful or so every couple days. If you do them all at once you can cause serious problems.

1st off don't rely on what the LFS says... (Imagine how much money they have made off you already)

2nd get your own reliable test kit. API Master test hit is a good one. You need Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH for starts.

After that post more details about your water params so we can get a better understanding or your situation and be better able to help you out.

Water parameter info to be included: Temp and if any changes state it. Salinity. How you are doing water changes (with what type of Water), and are you dosing anything into your tank? if so what is it.

Hi Ulta and thanks,

Yes, I do have test kits. I will test the water again and let you know the parameters. I have gotten fish from two different sources as I was thinking maybe it was my LFS also. The other fish person cleans tanks for a living for over 20 years and he brought a few from his supplier which didn't make it either as well as he's been over & looked & tested my tank. He can only scratch his head in puzzlement. I will run all tests and get back with you. :) Thanks for your input! :sfish:

Hi little_fish,
The hippo did eat at the LFS before I purchased him and was doing well and eating for about 6 days in my tank.

That is sooo odd.

Any chance you have some sort of parasite in your tank that is killing your fish off. How long have you left it totally fishless for?

The obvious question is where are you getting your water? Are you using tap water or RO/DI...I'm betting dollars to donuts that there is something in your water that isn't being tested for.

Hope everything works out for you. It must be a huge pain in the ass to not even know what's going wrong. I feel bad =/

Back