FishyReef's 10 Gallon Contest Tank

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Full Tank Shots:

Equipment:

*10g tank that came w/ a hood, heater, + small aqueon filter (not sure of the exact volume, but probably a few cups worth of water at most)
*2 Koralia Nano 240gph powerheads (one is currently running, the other was removed for a period of time but will be added back shortly)
*Stock lighting (planning to upgrade)
*Digital Thermometer

Here is a picture of the filter:

Livestock:

*Snails: 10 Nassarius, 1 banded trochus, 1 astreae conehead, 1 turbo, 1 dwarf cerith

*Violet the Purple Firefish

*Livvy the Blue & Gold Blenny (Ecsenius Lividanalis)

*Sebastian the very tiny Green Clown Goby

*Purple short-spined pincushion urchin (still unnamed, but I've been looking for a good mobster name for this guy lol) (and sorry for the old pic, but this one best represents his up-to-no-good personality, hitching a ride to the acclimation bag when I added Violet lol)

Parameters (Friday, 05-18-12):

*Ammonia (NH3 and NH4) = 0
*Nitrite = 0
*Nitrate = 2 - 5
*pH = 8.3
*Alk = 4
*Specific Gravity / Salinity (refractometer) = 1.020 (this is lower than I would like and will intentionally be raising this over the coming week)
*Temp = 79.2 (I keep it between 79-80, it is almost always around 79.3)

SeaChem testing kit

Ammonia (NH3 is on the left, NH4 is on the right)

Nitrite (left) & Nitrate (right)

pH

Temp

Sorry that there isn't an alk pic - with this kit you add individual drops of the reagent to the water and count how many drops it takes to turn the water yellow, then divide by two - there isn't a strip to visualize results like the other parameters.

Additional Information & Future Plans

I began the build for my 10g on March 21st, mostly to house my urchin that was banned from my 90g. As of now, the tank remains a fish and invert only tank, but I am having serious coral envy. My urchin has also gotten itself stuck a few times and I am beginning to think it may need a tank with more open rock work than my 10g can provide, so may very well find him another home and add some corals before this contest is over. Otherwise I will be adding some additional fun inverts and might try a few corals that will hopefully be urchin safe. I also plan on upgrading my lighting and ditching my hood, adding a DIY screen cover and a tiny fan for cooling this summer, changing out my white sand for black (I hate the white sand and have been slowly sucking it out with my water changes), converting the HOB filter to a fuge (I've already bought the light, just haven't done it yet), and adding my 2nd powerhead back into the tank. That's it for now!

Okay, update time:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
pH = 8.2
Temp = 79.7
Salinity = 1.022

And, why yes, that is a purple firefish in the front of the tank - meet Violetta (or Via), who has replaced Violet (RIP little Violet). Fingers crossed that Via will be the last purple firefish in this tank!

Via:

Otherwise all else is the same. Slowly sucking out sand, can't wait to replace it with black sand. Slowly raising the salinity (yes I know the tank needs to be topped off, gotta make more salt water!). I rarely see the clown goby and mostly only know he's still in the tank when he flies out of where ever he's been hiding to eat. Livvy is settling in and swimming around more, especially since Via arrived. I really wish I had some extra money to buy a decent light and some corals. All in time, I suppose. That's it for now!

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 2-5
pH = 8.3
SG = 1.025
Temp = 80.4

Semi-big week for the tank - I set up the refugium and built a screen top, though still need to cut off the excess screen and paint it black. I also got my light (yay!!!!) just today - still need to buy a hanging fixture, but hopefully it will be illuminating some corals in my tank for next week's picture :)

FTS Earlier this week:

Cute Nano Refugium w/ small ball of chaeto and a piece of rubble

FTS tonight holding the light above it (sorry, my helper didn't quite illuminate the tank, and my phone takes terrible photos with the blue hue of the light, but at least you can see the arrival of the light did indeed happen!!

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10
pH = 8.3
Temp = 80.8
SG = 1.026

Additions:
ORA Orange w/ green polyps birdsnest
Red on green mushroom
Burgandy and yellow Zoos w/ brown skirts and blue-rimmed white eyes
Zoos that look like radioactive dragon eyes
Blue mushrooms
Blue clove polyps
Fighting Conch

And a completely craptastic photo tonight (phones really don't do well with lighting that has blue hues in it - gotta find my regular camera!)

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
pH 8.3
Temp 81.1
Salinity 1.026

Stock List:
Purple firefish
Bluehead combtooth blenny (also called blue & gold blenny)
purple short-spine pincushion urchin (soon going to a new home)
turbo snail
fighting conch
astraea snail
10 nassarius snails
banded trochus snail
cerith snail
teeny tiny hitchhiker cerith snail (new)
chaetomorpha algae
ORA orange w/ green polyps birdsnest
red on green mushroom
blue mushrooms
green zoas
purple and green zoas (not sure if these are going to make it - they are a very flat polyp and I can't tell if they are melting under my lights or not)
yellow and pink zoas
3 polyps of blue hornet zoas (not sure if these are going to make it - got them for free and I am battling some bug that is liking them, might be a zoa spider or pods, not sure)
blue clove polyps
mint green pipe organ
blue and red acans or favia (hard to tell which and I may move this to my 90 where it can be better shaded)
red planet acro
ultimate blue acro
meteor shower
sunset monti (likely being moved to my 90 where it isn't as bright)
superman monti (likely moving to my 90 as well)

Equipment:
10g tank
tiny aqueon filter used as a fuge
2 koralia nano powerheads
Par38 bulb
heater
digital thermometer
tiny led fuge light
mag-float

Another craptastic photo this week (some day I promise it will be better)

Goals for this coming week are to raise my light higher, add sand, and hope all of my frags are still alive come next week!

Last edited:
Thanks, Brittany!

Well, my urchin is no more. Traded him in today. It was hard to say goodbye to him. I hope he finds another good home w/o corals to nom.

wow, can't believe its friday already!

So I did get rid of my urchin this week, and also lost my fighting conch. Some of my corals look great and others are really struggling. Bugs are attaching two of my 4 zoas, and my monti's aren't recovering. The favia skeleton is also showing through. So I'm still trying to get a handle on what's ailing my corals. Fish are good and loving the new light and corals in the tank - much more like home for them :) Oh, and I also added a regular thermometer since I felt like my digital one was ranging quite a bit and wanted to test it against a glass thermometer.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
pH 8.3
temp 80
SG 1.026

Stock List:
Purple firefish
turbo snail
astraea snail
10 nassarius snails
banded trochus snail
cerith snail
chaetomorpha algae
red on green mushroom
blue mushrooms
green zoas
purple and green zoas (not sure if these are going to make it - they are a very flat polyp and I can't tell if they are melting under my lights or not)
yellow and pink zoas
3 polyps of blue hornet zoas (not sure if these are going to make it - got them for free and I am battling some bug that is liking them, might be a zoa spider or pods, not sure)
blue clove polyps
mint green pipe organ
blue and red favia (I may move this to my 90 where it can be better shaded)
red planet acro
ultimate blue acro
meteor shower
sunset monti (likely being moved to my 90 where it isn't as bright)
superman monti (likely moving to my 90 as well)

Equipment:
10g tank
Par38 bulb
heater
digital thermometer
regular thermometer
tiny led fuge light
mag-float

Okay, I think this week's pic takes the cake as far as craptastic pictures go LOL - got distracted interviewing roommates tonight and forgot to take the pic before lights out.... so here's the lights out pic (at least it qualifies):

Stock List:
Purple firefish
turbo snail
astraea snail
10 nassarius snails
banded trochus snail
cerith snail
chaetomorpha algae
red on green mushroom
blue mushrooms
green zoas
purple and green zoas
yellow and pink zoas
3 polyps of blue hornet zoas (still unhappy and crawling with critters - gotta get this resolved asap)
blue clove polyps
mint green pipe organ
blue and red favia (moving to my 90 this week)
red planet acro
ultimate blue acro
meteor shower
sunset monti (moving to my 90)
superman monti (moving to my 90 as well)

Additions:
green w/ purple tips frogspawn
purple w/ green tips hammer
green w/ green tips frogspawn frag from my 90

Equipment:
10g tank
Par38 bulb
heater
digital thermometer
regular thermometer
tiny led fuge light
mag-float

This week has been hard on this tank w/ the heat and resulting temperature fluxuations. It's literally gone from 85-78 in a single day. I'm surprised I haven't lost anything. The heat wave finally broke yesterday and things are much better today. Once again, I hope to get sand in this week and glue down more frags.

Cheers to another week of not losing anything! :Cheers:

FTS (and you can actually see both fish too!!):

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
pH 8.2
Temp 79-80
SG 1.026

Stock List:
Purple firefish
turbo snail
astraea snail
10 nassarius snails
banded trochus snail
cerith snail
teeny tiny hitchhiker cerith snail
micro brittlestar hitchhiker (new)
chaetomorpha algae
red on green mushroom
blue mushrooms
green zoas
purple and green zoas
yellow and pink zoas
3 polyps of blue hornet zoas (no more critters and slowly recovering)
blue clove polyps
mint green pipe organ
blue and red favites
meteor shower
green w/ purple tips frogspawn
purple w/ green tips hammer
green w/ green tips frogspawn
candycane (new)
orange scoly (new - and I think its a scoly but not 100% sure)
green and purple duncan (new)
purple and green symphyllia brain (new)
2 green hitchhiking mushrooms
xenia (new)

Equipment:
10g tank
Par38 bulb
heater
digital thermometer
regular thermometer
tiny led fuge light
mag-float

A few more pics!

Moved my acros and montis to my 90 this morning as I think my 10g just was too unstable for them with the temp this summer. I will be making some final additions this weekend (including sand, finally!) and have an order arriving from LA on Tuesday, just in time to finalize my stocking list for Aug 1st!

Anyone have suggestions on how I can keep reflections off my glass when I'm taking the pics? I've shut off all of the lights in the room and even put a black shirt on, and I'm still getting reflections on the glass (probably because the light is hanging so high). Also having trouble getting my glass clear - I seem to get this weird film on the outside of the glass. I've used a water/vinegar spray, but its still there - kind of like that film that develops on the inside of your windshield... ideas? thanks!

Back