FishyReef's 10 Gallon Contest Tank

Final additions were made tonight thanks to live aquaria! 4 sexy shrimp (one of whom has decided to hang out on the opposite side of the tank); a teeny tiny pompom crab, a red and black fromia sea star that looks more orange, and a pink/red and white dwarf feather duster (looks more red but hasn't unfurled all the way yet). I was supposed to have received an orange striped prawn goby with the order, but it didn't ship :( I have my fingers crossed that it will be shipped in the next two weeks before the order is cancelled but we'll see if they get more in. Oh, and I added black sand tonight too! No pics because its nighttime in the tank, but updated pics are coming before the week is through!

Oh, and I guess I should mention that I added a red and green open brain, and a purple and orange/red acan or micromussa over the weekend as well.

Last edited:

It's been a crazy week for my tank - new corals and inverts (but my fish never arrived from LA), *finally* added my sand (yay!!), temp spikes (85 yesterday, yikes!), and temporary additions (namely a brittlestar that was supposed to go to my 90) that died and have resulted in a mini-cycle that I discovered tonight. Anyhow, params are off because of the dead brittlestar (blame live aquaria and fedex, it was quite stressed when it arrived lost 4 of its 5 legs by the following morning, and I finally found its carcass under a rock last night with the help of a tiny flashlight and mirror, but had no way to reach it, even in this tiny tank!). I'm posting 2 parameter readings - one from Wed and one from tonight - with a few water changes things will be back to normal by next week and fingers crossed I won't lose anything in the process.

Wed Params:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2-5
pH 8.2
Temp 80
Salinity 1.025

Fri (tonight) Params:

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
pH 8.3
Temp 80.5
Salinity 1.025

Stock List:
Purple firefish
Bluehead combtooth blenny (also called blue & gold blenny)
turbo snail
astraea snail
10 nassarius snails
banded trochus snail
cerith snail
teeny tiny hitchhiker cerith snail
micro brittlestar hitchhiker
fromia red/orange and black starfish (new)
4 sexy shrimp (new)
pompom crab (new)
pink and white feather duster (new)
chaetomorpha algae
ORA orange w/ green polyps birdsnest
red on green mushroom
blue mushrooms
green zoas
purple and green zoas
yellow and pink zoas
3 polyps of blue hornet zoas
blue clove polyps
mint green pipe organ
blue and red favites
meteor shower
green w/ purple tips frogspawn
purple w/ green tips hammer
green w/ green tips frogspawn
candycane
orange scoly
green and purple duncan
purple and green symphyllia brain
2 green hitchhiking mushrooms
xenia
red and green brain (? trachy) (new)
purple and orange acan/micromussa (new)
fox coral (from my 90, hope it will recover in this tank but very unlikely)
pearl bubble coral (dying piece fragged off the large piece in my 90 - stuck it in my 10 to see if I can save it but am very doubtful)

Equipment:
10g tank
tiny aqueon filter used as a fuge
2 koralia nano powerheads
Par38 bulb
heater
digital thermometer
regular thermometer
tiny led fuge light
mag-float
screen top
black sand

2 more pics of new additions (will try to get a decent pic of the sexy shrimp and/or pompom crab for next week!)

So far so good; its only been in the tank for 3 days though so hard to say long term. It's quite active, but I'm not sure what its eating. I placed some krill under it tonight but it just moved away from it so I took it out. I'm going to try offer it nori sheets tomorrow to see if it will take that. From what I've read, the fromia seem to be easier than the linckia or any of the sandsifters, so I'm hopeful it will do okay. I'm most nervous about how its going to handle this mini cycle I'm going through right now though so we'll see...

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
pH 8.2
Temp 80
SG 1.026

Stock List:
Purple firefish
Bluehead combtooth blenny (also called blue & gold blenny)
turbo snail
astraea snail
10 nassarius snails
banded trochus snail
cerith snail
teeny tiny hitchhiker cerith snail
micro brittlestar hitchhiker
fromia red/orange and black starfish
4 sexy shrimp
pompom crab
pink and white feather duster
chaetomorpha algae
ORA orange w/ green polyps birdsnest
red on green mushroom
blue mushrooms
green zoas
purple and green zoas
yellow and pink zoas
3 polyps of blue hornet zoas
blue clove polyps
mint green pipe organ
blue and red favites
meteor shower
green w/ purple tips frogspawn
purple w/ green tips hammer
green w/ green tips frogspawn
candycane
orange scoly
green and purple duncan
purple and green symphyllia brain
2 green hitchhiking mushrooms
xenia
red and green brain
purple and orange acan/micromussa

Equipment:
10g tank
tiny aqueon filter used as a fuge
2 koralia nano powerheads
Par38 bulb
heater
digital thermometer
regular thermometer
tiny led fuge light
mag-float
screen top
black sand

Really tough week for this tank w/ a tiny cycle, and salinity and temp fluxuations. I'm fortunate not to have lost anything, but most of my corals have taken a hit. The coming weeks are going to be focused on getting my corals healthy again and keeping my parameters stable.

Orange Striped Prawn Goby finally arrived today - yay!!! I'll post a copy of the email with the date it was ordered and supposed to have been shipped, which was prior to Aug 1st just so everyone can see it was a legitimate addition :)

:helm2: Soldier on, my friend. We all have set backs and sucky days (or weeks, or months). This too shall pass. But you can do it! Don't be a quitter!

Okay, so I admittedly had a bad weekend, and may or may not have had an extra glass of wine before writing my "I'm quitting post":roll: But now with fish dying left and right on me, I think I really do need to bow out of this contest. My tank is now undergoing treatment with maracyn/maracyn II and I have no idea what is going to make it through or not. Wish us luck!

Back