Fishy's 10g Urchin Jail

I have two soft ball sized rocks out on a table in the yard getting sun for the last few days for bubble algae. I cant see a way for anything to live through that.

Okay guys, this poor little tank is now fish-less again. Once again lost all three fish within a day, though for different reasons I think. At this point I am very tempted to break it down, toss the substrate, bleach the rocks, filters, powerheads, tank, etc. and start it over. I do have a few corals and inverts that I'd like to keep. What do you guys think about a plan to move all of the inverts and corals to a 5g holding tank with a never used powerhead for a week or so while I bleach and de-chlorinate everything? What are the chances any disease will remain on the inverts and corals during this time and bring it back to the newly disinfected tank and rocks?

Update and Question time!

Been a really really long time since I've done anything with this tank. Here's a picture of it from the good old days last summer when it was at its height!

After two sets of fish losses, I've left it fallow since November. I still have the duncan, orange donut/acan coral, pipe organ, 2 xenia stalks, and a few zoos that never open. Sexy shrimp and snails are still happy. Rocks are absolutely covered with pods. Biggest issue is that I have a ton of chaeto strands growing out of my rocks and off my glass. I can pluck the ones off the glass but don't know how to get the ones out of the rocks.

Back in February I also picked up a 20g long tank that was converted into a super clean nano tank set up, with a divider on one end for a sump and 'fuge. It came with a nano glass skimmer that is run off an airstone, and is a super cool design. I love the set up of this 20g and would really like to break down the 10g and move everything to the 20g. Problem with the 20g is that its full of bryopsis. I *do not* want bryopsis in my tank!

So here's what I'm thinking - how does this sound to you guys?

Move the fish (citron goby, and red and purple firefish) and inverts (few snails and hermit) to the 10g

Place the corals (zoos, mushrooms, frogspawns) in a 5g where I will raise the magnesium to try to kill off the bryposis before putting them in the 10g.

Remove and bleach the rocks (2-3 pieces of pukani plus rubble) from the 20g to get rid of any bryopsis

Bleach the tank, powerheads, return pump, etc.

Ditch the sand and start with new sand.

Once the tank is bleached, then move the rocks and critters from the 10g into the 20g, add new sand, and then add the corals back in once the bryopsis is dead off the frag plugs. I like the rock structure in my 10g and could use the bleached rocks from the 20g for the hex tank that is still in the works.

So my questions for you guys are (1) will the bleaching kill off the bryopsis? and (2) what's the best way to get all of the hitchhikers (a few nice brittlestars, stomatellas, bristleworms) to evacuate the rocks before I bleach them? I hate to kill these good critters and would rather save them to move to the 10g!

Back