Flame angel discoloring

jahel318

Reefing newb
I'm trying to figure out why my flame angel is losing its beautiful bright coloring all of a sudden. All the other fish in the tank are doing just fine. I've had the flame since the beginnning of this year. Any suggestions?

Stress, infection, parasite? What are your water parameters? Any new additions to the tank? Is it eating well and what is it eating? What are the other fish?

SG 1.023
Temp 78
pH 8.1
Alkalinity 10
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate under 30

I will post pics as soon as I get new batteries for my cam. My phone takes sucky pics

What types of food do you feed your angel? I'm thinking it could be a nutritional deficit (I know this can impact coloration on some fish)

What types of food do you feed your angel? I'm thinking it could be a nutritional deficit (I know this can impact coloration on some fish)

Formula Two marine pellets mixed with spirulina pellets once daily on a timer.
Every other day I add just enough green seaweed on a veggie clip that can be eaten within a few hours.

+1 on frozen. There are tons to choose from. Mysis, brine (although this shouldn't be a staple food- lack of nutrition), Rod's, emerald entree, marine cuisine, even the seafood in the local Asian supermarket.

+2 on the frozen variety

Also mix up the seaweed as well get some brown and/or red and/or purple. Mix it up every feeding and if you find one it likes particularly more then use that one more often but it still needs variety.

They've got you covered in terms of adding in frozen meaty preparations to your feeding regimen. The only other thing you might want to consider is a food soak. I tend to think that the frozen preparations (especially something like Rods food) pretty well covers nutrient and vitamin needs, but if your fish is losing color due to a potential vitamin/nutrient deficiency then adding a food soak might help boost his health more quickly. Brightwell Aquatics makes an angel food soak called AngeLixer, and while I think it tends to be more geared for the large angels it might not hurt to look into it further for your guy.

Awesome!! Thank u all for your input. My only LFS (Petco) doesn't have much selection as far as food so I'll have to order online. I'm in a small town.

I get most of my frozen foods at Petco - all of the ones I've been to carry marine cuisine, mysis, emerald entree, brine (not a good choice), and a few others. There is usually a freezer where they have frozen food for fish, as well as things like frozen rats for snakes. Next time you go to Petco ask them if they carry any frozen foods, and if not they could probably order some for you!

To make matters more interesting I just looked a little closer at the Flame angle and now it appears to have ich! I bought some Kordon Ich Attack and started treating the whole tank. I isolated the Flame into a QT and added Lifeguard tabs to cure her ich.

Do you have any corals or inverts in your display tank?

The active ingredients in most ich treatments are bad news for those guys.

I do have inverts but no coral. I was planning on adding some Zoanthids this week however. Ich Attack is supposed to be safe for inverts & coral according to the label (herbal remedy). The flame angel and lemonpeel angel ended up dying over this past weekend :(

I'm sorry to hear you lost them :( Out of curiosity, what size tank where they in? Lemonpeels can be real meanies and I'm wondering if there was some bullying going on contributing to stress. I didn't realize you had a lemonpeel in there with the flame angel. How are the other fish in the tank doing?

They were in a 44gal. To my surprise they didn't pick at each other. All of the fish in the tank get along great (2clowns 3 damsels, 1 starry blenny). I'm still treating the main tank with the ich attack just in case but they seem to be doing very well so far.

Jahel, just so you know, in a 44g tank, you're limited to 4-5 small fish. Tangs, and Angels (Even Dwarf Angels) require much more swimming room then it can provide. My best guess on the ich outbreak is due to stress from so many fish in to small of a tank. Fish like to establish territory (Especially Clowns and Damsels) and they will fight anything that comes into it (ESPECIALLY Clowns and Damsels). Sorry about your loss, and I'd stop buying fish until you can replace the damsels.

Also, on a side note, what type of Damsels do you have? Any Dominos? Because Dominos are HORRIBLY over aggressive, and will kill fish without thinking twice.

Back