Flame Angel

bg3489

Reefing newb
I have a Flame Angel who has been torturing my crocea clam for about a month now! The clam is only 1/4 open now and is not to happy about being eaten. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the flame angel out! He is way to quick to be lured up to the surface by food and then netted in and sleeps behind the LR in a cave so I can't reach him at night. I was thinking about one of those traps but I have 3 other fish that could potentially be caught instead! Any suggestions? Trapping ideas?

Your best shot would be using 2 nets and trying to get it to run into one of them while chasing it with the other. Good Luck

I have had similar struggles with nasty fish. Here is my method: Place a large net in your tank and find a place where you can rest in on the live rock so it stays stable. All the fish will be fearful at first. Place a cube of frozen food in it (must be frozen, right out of the package) I recommend angel and butterfly portions. let it thaw in the net - try to aim it toward a powerhead so the current blows all the food into the net. The fish will enter the net to eat the food - it may take three or four times for them to get comfy. Only feed them this way and they will associate the net with food. When the flame angel gets used to feeding in the net, pick your moment and quickly scoop him out. Have a second, smaller net ready to take him out of the net as you will most likely end up taking out other fish with him. Let the bottom of the net sit in the water so they are not exposed to the air. Whola... no more troubled fish. Good luck, hope this was helpful.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back