Flame Angel

rems

Reefing newb
I am new to saltwater tanks and fish. I have read the book The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta to get me started. I would really like a flame angel. I read in the book that you can never introduce a flame angel to a new aquarium. So I would like help on figuring out with fish I should place in my tank initially, that ultimately enables me have a flame angel after my tank is no longer "a new aquarium". I read this "If an angelfish appears timid and hides all the time, some dither fish, like a school of small chromis may be added to make it feel more secure". With this in mind, would have 2 or 3 chromis (possibly black-axil) be a good choice as my starter fish and then eventually put a flame angel with the chromis. I know the chromis are fast-aggresive fish so I am unsure how that would work. HELP!!!!!

Flame angels will generally get along with everything else in the tank. They mind their own business, and they don't normally hide. I don't think you need any schooling fish to be able to see the flame, and in a small tank like a 20 gallon, it can be impossible to create a school anyways. You are limited to 2 or 3 fish total in a tank that size.

So I'd say to pick out which fish you like, make sure they are compatible with the flame, and go from there. :)

Thanks everyone. I would like to put both the clown fish and flame angel together, but are they compatible? If I put 2 clowns in first and then 1 flame angel....would that work?

Live aquaria increased it tank size recommendations a few months back other place say this.
COMMON NAME:
Flame Angel
SCIENTIFIC NAME:
Centropyge loricula SIZE AVAILABLE:
~1.5-2 inches MINIMUM TANK SIZE:
30 gallons FOOD/DIET:
Herbivore CARE LEVEL:
Moderate REEF SAFE:
Semi-aggressive, may nip at corals/clams when hungry AVAILABILITY:
Most always available - 99%

Not sure why Live aquaria increased theirs so much. I would still think a 20 would be pushing it though.

Agreed. Even prior to the increase in tank size recommended by LiveAquaria, they still listed 30 gallons as the minimum size for a dwarf angel, and I tend to agree with this. I have one of the smaller dwarf angels in my tank, and he utilizes pretty much the entire tank for swim space. I would honestly say that even 30 would be a bit crowded for a dwarf angel, and certainly wouldn't think they would do well in a space smaller than that.

That being said, I have an acanthurus tang in my 90, and LA recommends twice that size for her, but she is doing great in my tank. So you can certainly try it, but just be very aware that your fish may be too stressed in a small tank. It may end up needing to be rehomed quickly, or just end up dead. Flames can also be a little difficult to care for, as they are known for carrying a heavy parasite load unless sourced from Hawai'i. The Hawaiian Flames are significantly higher in price. Not all Flames from elsewhere are like that, but enough that they are known for being more difficult to care for.

Good luck, whatever your decision!

Back