Flame Scallop

Justinthereefer

this is bat country
I bought three very small green chromis the other day(one is all ready mia),and a flame scallop as well.The scallop has attached himself in the shade of my rocks already,but i was wondering how often i should feed him.I planned on twice a week floating food all over him but is this enough? Also my chromis are only three wuarter inch long,could i have five in a 55 gallon?

I love green chromis, but I cant seem to keep them....they always die on me. I got 3, then I got 2, and as much as I want to try again, I dont want to kill more of them. Im not positive but I think you might be ok with 5, but it would really limit anything else you could have. Idealy Ive heard you can have about 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons. So 5 almost 1 inch fish would be about tops for your tank following that rule.

i have heard that rule to,but right now i have a yellow tang a blue dartfish a clown and the two chromis.I have four shrimp about twenty hermits and twenty snails.I only change five gallons of water every two weeks and for the past four months my nitrate has remained undetectable.So i am not really confident in that rule,I was just worried about when they grow if that tank will be big enough for five grown chromis and theyre friends

also a yellow watchmen goby,sorry i forgot the little guy. i cant really find good info on how much to feed that scallop,i dont want to starve him but i dont want to mess up my water either.

Last edited:
SOrry to say, but that flame scallop needs to be fed almost constantly. They are very difficult to keep alive and will very quickly starve. They are very difficult to keep alive, and IMO, should be kept in the ocean. I learned this after trying two of them without properly researching.

Flame Scallop

Someone else is going to say it, but that yellow tang really needs more room than a 55gal. Its not just nitrates but actual room the fish need to swim and move as well. A fish may take a while to show the signs of being streesed by a tank that is too small or over crowded but it will start to happen. The dart fish and clown and chromis are fine. You can have a large CUC, they dont count towards that calculation as they are what help your tank clean up, but watch that tang they need at least 100 gal......

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+392&pcatid=392

I think your fish will be fine if you keep your water chem good, which means constant water changes, or I would suggest some marco algae to help with the water chem, as for that scallop those are constantly feeding and filtering. My only suggestion which i did for a feather star was to fabricate a drip system which adds phyto/zoo, larval mysis shrimp., rotifers etc to keep him alive, but you will need to check your water a lot more, I add ocean water every day. best of luck :)

ok i know a yellow tang is supposed to be in a 70 gallon or so but 55 70 and alot of 90 gallon tanks are four feet long so i dont feel there is much difference.I also belive if a tank is aquascped properly and a fish can take multiple paths around the tank he will be fine.I have alot of caves and arches in my tank and trust me my tang is pefectly happy.

Well its your fish and your tank, others feel the same way, they need to try it themselves before believing something they are told. But many people have tried it and its just not good for the fish, wontonflip can give you a first hand story of yellow tangs in 55gal. The gal isnt the big deal just a guide to common tank sizes, its swimming room, and even a 125 gal tall tank wont be good for a tang because it doesnt have the swimming room it needs...4 feet isnt enough, and a 55 gal is only about 18 inches deep at most..plus the rock and sand, etc, it doesnt leave much room. Its like keeping a lab in an appartment all the time. You can play with it all you want but its just not a proper environment and things will go wrong, that dog needs room to run, and tangs need more room to swim. Please when you have problems with that tang, dont get another one.

I'm actually shocked, but this month marks a year that I've had my flame scallop. I actually received two of them, and one eventually died which is what I expected, but the other is still in the exact same spot that he moved into a year ago and doing fine. I don't know how... I only feed the tank once a day and sometimes that just means some flake food or pellets. The other times, it's thawed Rod's Food. Once in a while I add in some phyto or something like that. But ya... i'm pleasantly shocked that I still have him, my purple serpent, brown brittle, and large orange sea stars, and 3 out of 4 of my cucumbers. All received at the same time. I guess I'm doing something right-ish. lol

I'm actually shocked, but this month marks a year that I've had my flame scallop. I actually received two of them, and one eventually died which is what I expected, but the other is still in the exact same spot that he moved into a year ago and doing fine. I don't know how... I only feed the tank once a day and sometimes that just means some flake food or pellets. The other times, it's thawed Rod's Food. Once in a while I add in some phyto or something like that. But ya... i'm pleasantly shocked that I still have him, my purple serpent, brown brittle, and large orange sea stars, and 3 out of 4 of my cucumbers. All received at the same time. I guess I'm doing something right-ish. lol
I can say the same for the ones in the Office tank. They have been there for about 14 months. From day one they have been on the same rock they sunk on to when they were but in the tank. I have one in my tank and its been fine for some time now and I don't feed them really at all. Other than the mys, brine and squid chunks that fall in them when I feed my fish friends. Hmm maybe that's enough for them and maybe the reefpods are being eaten by them as well.... Any who this is the thing of where its "EVERY ONES TANK IS DIFFERENT!!!" Each of us have different set ups, water rock and other things. So some may find it hard for them to be kept same may find it easy. soin the end its all just our :twocents:. I hope your flame last you a life time they are beautiful :D

Back