flame scallop

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Okay so I had a 20 dollar credit for my lfs and guess what I picked out of everything...a flame scallop. I also bought microvert to feed it bc I read it eats a lot. How often should I feed it? Its attached itself to a rock already and seems to be doing very well. I read these are hard to keep but I am very dedicated to my tank and i think/hope this will work.

I have tried one and so have many others. They dont seem to live long in our tanks. Mine lived about 5 months and then died. Other people have had more success. I would say feed it often like every other day or so if not everyday.

I really wanted one of these too but was afraid of how much it needs to eat. I hope you do well with yours then I might consider getting one myself!

They are gorgeous, but don't tend to do well in our systems because they need so much food constantly, that the amount you have to feed them ends up making your water quality bad. A couple people have been able to keep theirs long term though (I think d2mini -- Dennis -- is one of them). There seems to be a small chance that they survive. I hope you have success with yours!

Thanks biff. I also bought some cheato. Only one dollar for it! I don't have a light for my fuge so I just stuck it in the tank. Everyone is leaving it alone

It will do fine in your tank, but may get sucked in and chopped up by your powerheads. You may want to get a plastic basket kind of thing to put it in -- or a tupperware with lots of holes drilled in it.

A couple people have been able to keep theirs long term though (I think d2mini -- Dennis -- is one of them).

Yup, i have no idea why it's doing well but i've had him well over a year now. I wouldn't have bought one, i just happened to get two for free. One died within 6 months as expected from previous experience.
I think the other just happened to settle in the perfect spot in my tank with the perfect amount of flow so he can grab the perfect amount of food out of the water column.
I still wouldn't recommend one to anyone and they are one of the items I think are best left in the wild due to their poor survival rate in captivity.

I had two also one lasted about 6 mos the other is over a year and still kicking .. found a high flow area I think he is getting what he needs directly below the anemone..

i have a scallop, been about 8 mnths now, i feed him bout an 1oz shot of plankton a week and hes doing great

Back