Flameback vs. Potter's angel

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
Im debating one of these 2 as my last fish in my tank. For the Flameback on liveaquaria it says that it "can nip at SPS corals" and this is the same thing the guy at the LFS told me. I dont have any SPSs but i have a bunch of different kinds of corals, so would i be ok? Anyone have one that can let me know??

Also, if not the flameback, i really like the Potter's angles, how safe are these with reefs?? Also, on liveaquaria it says its "expert only" but doesnt give any reasons why. Anyone know why these are "Expert Only"?? and again, anyone have one that could fill me in on anything else??

Thanks in advance.

all angels are 50/50 with coral and all dependent on the tastes of the angel you get. one angel might like zoa, one might like clams, one might like LPS, one may not like any kind of coral or clam. it really depends on the individual fish. the potters is expert only because i believe they are hard to get eating

i was looking at these a while back and the place I read said that potter's angels are very hard to keep and they tend not to flourish in a home aquarium. Think it might have been bob fenners book.

I had to bring my Singapore Angel back to the LFS when it started nipping at zoanthids. Great fish, but I wouldn't chance it again. Good luck though, if you decide to get one.

you probably shouldnt put another angel in with your coral beauty but if you decide to chance it the potters angel is very difficult to get to eat:question: and is doesnt adapt well to captivity:frustrat: those are a couple of reasons for their expert care level:bowdown:

so i decided to get that flameback, and as soon as i put him in there my Scopas/Yellow tang decided he HATED him and started chasing him around right away. I left the lights off and today it seems like they are a LITTLE better... but if they dont figure it out on their own ill have to take one of them out.

How long should i wait to see if they work it out on their own before i yank one of them out of there?? There doesnt seem to be any visible damage on the flameback so i dunno if i should be really worried.

Your scopas is going to out grow that tank anyway so I would take him out. If your flameback is constantly getting chased he can die of stress with no visible signs so just keep an eye on them.

Good luck

I love large Angels, but every one I've had either picked at my corals or were aggressive towards my other fish. They are beautiful fish though. I love Imperator and Scribble Angels most. Good luck Puffer with your new fish!

I love my flame angel, the colors are very vibrant under my lights and he explores my entire tank with no fears

we're talking about the African Flameback Angelfish, very easy to confuse.

Flameback-Angelfish_rs_ds_f1.jpg

as opposed to:
flame_rs_ds_f1.jpg

he did mean the flameBACK right?

i have a flameBACK... and he is still getting picked on. I think ill try to catch the tang, i think they are closed for the 4th though... damn.

happy to report the flameback is out and about now and the scopas is leaving him alone for the most part... can something like this torn sour again later on?? Should i still keep an eye on them?

yeah i'd keep an eye.... but form my experience once the initial squabbling is over, and they get a little hierarchy established, then you're in the clear, but there are no rules in this hobby :P

btw, glad to see people stocking some of the lesser kept fish... it's always good to see some differences :P

yeah I guess I saw flame and my low attention span assumed it was Flame Angel and not Flameback. I would still get a Flame Angel over a Flameback or a Potter's Angel =)

yeah I guess I saw flame and my low attention span assumed it was Flame Angel and not Flameback. I would still get a Flame Angel over a Flameback or a Potter's Angel =)

yeah.... i've just never liked how touchy they are with shipping stress, and how they really can't tolerate copper.... I stay away from the flame...

but man... they look awesome.

Back