Flatworm...good or bad? Help ID please

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
SO I'm pretty sure this is a flatworm of some sort butI can't find anything online to give me a positive ID. Anyone know anything about flatworms (if that's what it is)? I do have corals and want to make sure he is reef safe.
DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

I don't know what we're supposed to be looking at on that rock either, but flat worms look just like they sound. Flat and maybe 1/4" long. Some are white, some clear and some red. You would really need to zoom in on that rock to see a flatworm.

What JC is pointing to is a sponge. The orange thing doesn't look like a flatworm. Flatworms are symmetrical and usually found on the glass before you can see them on rocks.

ok, to clarify...yes the blue thing is a sponge, the green thing is a small piece of caulerpa, and the big orange thing is what I can't identify. I think it's a flatworm...it has 2 little eyes near one end, it molds and shrinks to fit in any hole/crevice. It is about 3in long by 1.5 in wide in those photos. It's a rusty color orange. It felt slimy and retracted when I touched it. Seems to prefer the dark too. It did seem symmetrical too, but the rock in this photo was kinda bumpy. Everything I read on flatworms seems to lead toward tiny things on the glass that reproduce quickly. Only thing new i added was a piece or LR about 1 month ago. No others have been seen. Thanks to everyone for taking a look :)

Last edited:
I'm betting that its some kind of nudibranch.
But I wouldnt toss it just yet.I'd watch it for a while.It may be safe,and if it is.Then got a cool critter that most of us will never see.

Back