Flatworm Invasion. Any tips or Advice on how to proceed???

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
Hey everyone,

My flatworm invasion is still out of control. I finally decided to purchase *flatworm exit*. I posted some pictures of my tank so you can see how bad this is!!!!!!

This is what I was planning on doing:
- Prepare a 25% water change
- Try to suck out as many flatworms as I can before treating the tank.... But look at the pictures.... I can only suck out so much.... plus the ones in the sand can not be sucked out as the sand blocks the small piece of tubing I use....
- Treat the tank with *flatworm exit*
- Run filters with 3 pounds of carbon when the flatworms start to die...
- Do a water change

Before I start treating my tank, I'd like to hear any tps or or advice.......

flatworm10.jpg

flatworm9.jpg

flatworm6.jpg

flatworm5.jpg

flatworm4.jpg

flatworm3.jpg

flatworm1.jpg

flatworm8.jpg

flatworm7.jpg

Does anyone knows what this furry purple/dark red thing on my rock is?
flatworm2.jpg

Holy Cow you have them bad. You got it right siphon out all that you can. Be sure to squirt the holes of the rocks with a turkey baster to get as many as you can. Not sure how you plan on doing it but it's a whole lot easier if you can find someone to help.
This is what I did. I made a net out of material. Flatworms can go through a brine net. To start I had my daughter hold the end of the net over the sump with end of hose while I siphoned out all that I could see. This does take awhile. The reason I did it this way was so I didn't have to worry about my tank water getting to low.
After that I removed all media materials. Shut off filter if running one. But keep protein skimmer running. This will help once the worms start to die. It will also collect them in the cup. Fill filter with carbon to have it ready or whaterver your plan is for the carbon. Have lots of it.
Add exit but only do half a dose and see if they start to die. You'll see them running like crazy from all directions. If you don't see any results in a minute or so add half of the rest. I only had to use 3/4 of what it said to use.
Once the worms start to die remove them the same way as before but have the water from the net go in the protein section. This way you don't have to worry about water getting low. Do this as fast as you can. The worms will be caught in the net.
Turn carbon on when you can't keep up with them dying. If you turn it on too soon you won't kill all the worms.
Do a water change and siphon them off the sand at this time. For some reason when they die they fall to the sandbed. So if your hose gets clog you'll have to get one a tad bigger.
Keep carbon running for a few day or even a week. You can do another water change if it looks like your fish are stessing real bad. All my fish and corals made it.
Oh and then you'll treat your tank again in a week or two.
Good Luck.

The furry thing is most likely some sort of sponge.

I think you have a good plan, except I'd do a 50% water change instead of 25%. The flatworms will start to die immediately, and they release toxins when they die (which is what can harm your tank, not the Flatworm Exit itself) so what will also help is if you have a friend ready with a net, scooping as much as he/she can out as they die.

Another reason to NOT procrastinate with this hobby. If I even saw ONE flatworm I would have dosed the tank.

But Piggy did a good job on explaining the procedure.

Another reason to NOT procrastinate with this hobby. If I even saw ONE flatworm I would have dosed the tank.

But Piggy did a good job on explaining the procedure.

Yes SSalty, I learned my lesson. Just been crazy busy lately and have been procastinating! Now, I got to fix this!

Thanx for the tips Piggy. And I will go mix up more water now to do a 50% water change..... That's a lot of water mixing!

look at docs reef tank showcase he just delt with them and it almost killed everything. they turned his water green when they started dieing

My water didn't turn green. Just don't panic when you do the treatment. Keep the protein skimmer running. If you feel safer you could put your fish in a QT tank if you have one. Not the corals because they are filled with flatworms even if you don't see any.

I've never had flatworms but if it ever happens.I would put my prize possessions(ahem,goniopora,frogspawn) in QT with water from the display,before treatment.

Good luck Sxybeemr.

You could probably give the corals a fresh water dip to get the worms off them.
I've not had to deal with flatworms either(knock on wood).But if I ever do see one,I'll be treating for em.

Well, first of all, let me say that if I see 1 flatworm, only 1, I will treat my tank right away! Lesson learned! I pretty much followed the steps. As soon as I added flatworm exit, all the worms started dying and floating all over in my water. I waited about 30 minuts and started running the carbon. I used my gravel vacum to suction out the dead worms and I'd keep on adding new water to the tank at the same time. I ended up doing a 50% water change. As I was vacuming the dead worms from my sandbed, I somehow touched my rocks and my whole rock wall felt apart!! My frogspan (I think that's what it is) got broken into 2 pieces, but it's fine. I luckily didn't kill nothing(no fish or corals) when whe rocks felt all over...The water is now crystal clear. The dead worms are all gone. All my fish are still alive and looking as usual... I finished around 6:00pm, so by now, I believe everything is safe and made it. And let me tell you that they don't lie when they say not to underestimate the amount of flatworms in a tank!!! :bounce::^:

I am still runing the carbon. I finished at 6:00pm and it is now 11:45pm. How long should I run it for? 1 week?

:^::D And the positive in this day is that I fond 2 baby starfish in my tank. The starfish is white, it's a little bigger then 1/4 inch and I found 2!! :D:^:

I would run the carbon for a week, retreat the tank in case you missed some, then run the carbon again for a week or two.

I ran the carbon for a week. Looking everyday for flatworms. Then I retreated the tank a week later. After second treatment I ran the carbon for another week because I didn't see any deads.

I wouldnt go over a day or 2.
Give the worms a week,and you'll have them all over the place again.
Hell,I'd probably treat them again tonight.

Treat them again as soon as you make up enough water for another 50% water change :). I'm glad everything went (pretty) well the first time around, hopefully a second dose will get rid of the stragglers!

Back