Flatworms in the Sand?

Lizardgi

I used to have lizards
Since I've moved and set up my new tank in October, I've had an issue with flatworms. Since then, I've tried 4 separate flatworm doses, each time appearing to kill all of them only to have them come back days later. I've always followed the instructions perfectly, and usually errored on the side of a little extra poison and a little longer before running carbon.

Thinking more of the problem, I think I have flatworms buried in my sand bed. It's usually crawling with them and while adjusting flow, sometimes the sand moves a bit and creates a bit of a dune. Would it be worth it to slowly remove all of the sand - then do a dose and confirm they are gone - and then separate dose the sand and stir it up to kill all!! The sand was new in October, but I still do not want to stir it in the tank.

Thanks!

Are you sure they are flat worms?

What are you using to dose your tank? And is it still within its expiration date? I know that Flatworm eXit by Salifert has an expiration date. Also, it tells you that you need to dose then dose again i either half an hour or an hour. I cant remember which.

Yep, they're flatworms, little red ones. The flatworm exit works and 99.9% of them die. I've always ordered a fresh bottle with each treatment. I think the instructions says that if you do not see a die-off, add 50% of the dose again. I always see a huge die-off, which is why I haven't dosed a second time.

I if you think they are in the sand, i would remove all of your sand. Then i would treat the tank twice, a couple of week apart to kill them off, and then put in new sand.

I agree that's the best choice. As my sand is only 5 months old and is relatively clean, do you think I could re-use it? I could give it a few RO baths with flatworm exit to make it nice and shiny again :D

Even ifs only 5 months old, i would still give it a really good cleaning with freshwater and then treat with the flatworm exit, and then clean it again. I think it almost be easier to just get new sand.

Back