Flatworms

bjohanson1234

Not sure if this is the right forum since we dont have a "pest" forum. So move it if needed.

I have noticed in the past couple days that there were a couple rust colored skin looking things on the LR of a new zoa colony. Did a quick search and found out they are rusty flatworms. I definantly want to take care of this ASAP since their bodies release a toxin when they die and the fewer that die the better.

So, does anyone have any experience with flatworm exit? I also read that there are several fish that reportedly eat the flatworms. Like six lines, blue damsels, and arrow crabs. Has any one used one of those to help control the population?

Once you see the flatworms, I think it's too late to use natural control, like fish. There are probably tons more that you don't see. Can you take the rock that they are on out of the tank? A freshwater dip would be better at this point than medicating the whole tank, if they are isolated on one zoa colony.

I have used Flatworm Exit. It worked somewhat. I ended up using 10 times the dose on the box, and it still didn't kill all the flatworms in my tank -- only some of them. In the end, I had to resort to removing the rocks they were on and freshwater dipping them anyways.

Thanks. I have only seen 3 or 4 total in the past couple days. I added the zoas a couple weeks ago. So who knows where they have moved to.

I also dont want to loose the 4 or 5 nice sized brittle stars that hitched on it.

I think I will try the flatworm exit. Will let everyone know how it goes.

15 minutes into the treatment and the flat worms are dying. About 10-15 have floated out of the zoa rock. And only the zoa rock. I have carbon ready and also a water change ready for after the treatment. Looks like it is working and I got them before they spread too badly.

you will want to do another treatment in a few days most people usually do two treatments to make shure they got them all

I used flatworm exit by salifert. It worked like a charm and killed them within 15-20 minutes. Didnt harm any corals or fish just the flat worms. It isnt cheap, my LFS had it for 30 bucks for a small bottle, saw it online for 20 bucks, but I wanted to erradicate them fast before they spread and increased the chance of a mass die off. Flat worms release toxins when they die so have water for a couple waterchanges handy.

becareful when dealing with flatworms in the tanks, they can infect humans. The owner of my LFS has had to get them cut out of his forearm twice, after moving rocks around in his tanks.

becareful when dealing with flatworms in the tanks, they can infect humans. The owner of my LFS has had to get them cut out of his forearm twice, after moving rocks around in his tanks.

Seriously?????
Sounds like invasion of the body snatchers. :shock:

Back