Florida Live Rock

DAvis

Reefer Madness
I've got quiet a bit of TBSW's rock in my tank.Its good stuff.Got a lot of life on it,some good,some bad.
Thats where the store I help gets their rock too.I've seen all kinds of cool stuff come in with it.Octopus,eels,fish,star fish and all alive.
Dont know anything about the other place,but their a lot cheaper.

Thanks yote! I know you often 'get what you pay for', but.... I'm real tempted to get the 50 lb/$155 delivered from JLR! I don't know yet! They do mention things like mantis shrimp and curly cue anenome, but me having nothing in the tank, Maybe I could deal with these issues (with all you guys help!) before I stock with cultured corals and fish.

It is the way to go. I like the idea of taking land rock and theowing it in the ocean for 5 years. Chiziling it off the reefs just seems messed up. It's like me coming into ur house and ripping up a pice of ur floor to take back to my house. Or ripping out a pice of your foundation

It is the way to go. I like the idea of taking land rock and theowing it in the ocean for 5 years. Chiziling it off the reefs just seems messed up. It's like me coming into ur house and ripping up a pice of ur floor to take back to my house. Or ripping out a pice of your foundation

I guess that's one way of looking at it. Thanks for making some of us feel bad Kwater. :grumble: :mrgreen:

Thanks yote! I know you often 'get what you pay for', but.... I'm real tempted to get the 50 lb/$155 delivered from JLR! I don't know yet! They do mention things like mantis shrimp and curly cue anenome, but me having nothing in the tank, Maybe I could deal with these issues (with all you guys help!) before I stock with cultured corals and fish.

Like I always say,get the rock thats in your budget.The more money you can save,the more you got to spend on corals:D But mantis aint that bad to catch,and the hunts kinda fun:mrgreen:

I guess that's one way of looking at it. Thanks for making some of us feel bad Kwater. :grumble: :mrgreen:

Didnt make me feel bad.All my rock is Flordia cultured:D

XxKnuckleheadxX - It is more dense, I've heard recommendations of 2 lbs/gallon. I'm going for 50 lbs in my 28 gallon cube, with 2-3" sand (30lbs?)

Kwater - That's my goal. Only have aquacultured live rock/sand, tank bred fish, and tank cultured corals. I know it greatly limits selection, but.....

dcantucson - I didn't mean to make you grumbly! I make no judgements! It's just what I want to do for my tank!

yote - You are right, spare the coin now, have more for later. I'll need tips on mantis shrimp wrangling! :D

Just let me know.I'll be happy to talk you through the hunt:D

I would say that Davids feelings got hurt because of not using cultured rock,except David aint got no feelings:mrgreen:

davis yea more dense, as in less pourus, and less surface area for bacteria, and also less amount of rock you get with what your purchase, dont get me wrong, like i said previously i have heard good things about florida rock. im just telling you things ive heard is all.

Thanks all, your help was immense! And sorry dcantucson, it seems you got hung out to dry!

More questions to come today!
Thanks again.
DAvis

Just wondering I kinds know but I kinds don't. What are and what are the differnces of these. Not shore how to spell most of them as usual

Aquacoltured

Tank raised

Farm raised

Captive bread.

What is the one where the species has never even touched the real ocean and was done competly in captivity

Just wondering I kinds know but I kinds don't. What are and what are the differnces of these. Not shore how to spell most of them as usual

Aquacoltured

Tank raised

Farm raised

Captive bread.

What is the one where the species has never even touched the real ocean and was done competly in captivity

I think I can handle this one, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Tank-bred is just that, borne and raised in a tank. Only saw the ocean if you lived on the shore! This can also be farm raised.

Captive-reared have been (supposedly) at an age from a wild that would have very little impact, when the survival rates are at the lowest in the wild. So this could be eggs or fry and such.

Aqua-cultured can apply to live rock. FL LR is Dead coral heads dug from the mainland and deposited (with permit) into an area adjacent to reefs. They pic up the natural flora and fauna and are taken out in 5 - 10 years. As long as they don't dig another lake Okeechobee, it's 'sustainable'

Coral is also aquacultured. Originally all did come from the reefs, but now most can be propagated in captivity

How'd I do? :)

Back