Flow Rate Ok? HELP PLEASE!!

Justin Craig

Reefing newb
Hello

I am new to the hobby and am in the process of getting all my equipment. In my 20 gallon refugium I have a Reef Dynamics INS80 protein skimmer, heater and my return pump is a Rio 3100 (4' incline=roughly 690 GPH). My tank is not drilled and I am trying to purchase my overflow box. I have decided to go with the CPR CS series. I am concerned about my refugium designs flow rate and am not sure if I should buy the CS90 (600 GPH) or the CS100 (800GPH). Can someone take a look at my schematics below and let me know if flow rate will be ok and what overflow box to go with?
refugium side view.png

refugium.png

I think you want the CS100 at 800 gph. You don't want the return pump to over power the the overflow box in gph or you will drain the fudge and overflow the tank.

It would probably work better if you add under-over baffles after the skimmer. This will create more turbulence in the skimmer section and allow more contact time with the "dirty" water and the skimmer intake.
Otherwise, you risk a portion the dirty water just bypassing the entire skimmer as it runs over all the single baffles.
This would also double as a bubble trap for the skimmer's effluent.

Actually, with your baffles #2, #3 and #4 all at the same height, you will most likely have a lot of water bypass all the chambers as they flow on the surface and above the baffles.

add another baffle after the skimmer that the water flows under then over the next then under to the return pump. same design that u have just one more baffle.

So like this? I feel like the skimmer compartment is going to fill up to far (operating depth for skimmer is 6.5")

refugium side view 2.png

Last edited:
Add another baffle 6 5/8" tall after the skimmer for water to flow over, keep the 3/4" gap at the bottom of the next baffle but cut the top down to around 7" - 7 1/2"

I would do it like that with the over under over baffles between the fudge and skimmer. Also think I would go 3/4" between all the baffles. Like Rock Stacker said above
It would probably work better if you add under-over baffles after the skimmer. This will create more turbulence in the skimmer section and allow more contact time with the "dirty" water and the skimmer intake.
Otherwise, you risk a portion the dirty water just bypassing the entire skimmer as it runs over all the single baffles.
This would also double as a bubble trap for the skimmer's effluent.

Actually, with your baffles #2, #3 and #4 all at the same height, you will most likely have a lot of water bypass all the chambers as they flow on the surface and above the baffles.

Back