flow rate questions for reef

Glitch

Reefing newb
Hi all, I've been lurking on this site for a while learning what I can while planning my setup.

I was hoping I could get some feedback on what I've done thus far.

Tank---38x20x20 inches
-65.8 gal
-total operating water vol with sump appx. 89.2 gal
-overflow box and drain on back left, return on the right/w powerhead

Stand---38x20x30 (custom, can accommodate sump size)

Sump---36x15x16
-drain stage 12x14.5
-refugium 12.25x14.5
-return stage 8x14.5

I was aiming for around 1200 gph to flow through the tank but i'm not sure if I will blast corals and fish too much. (about 18x tank vol. per hr.)

Not sure which size drain hole and return hole to accommodate this flow.
Drain 1", return 1"??

Was thinking mag 12 return pump that has 1130 gph at 4' head?
(would like least amount of sound as possible)

Also not sure if this flow will create crazy bubbles.

Sump has 2x 1" drains

TYIA for any advice. :D

Sounds good to me, I have 2x 1200gph powerheads (not sure if they actually produce as much as they say) and a return pump that blows just as much if not more than those do =P And thats in my 50g.
I just have to point my powerheads into open areas or angled upward toward the top. And I like the amount of flow in my tank :)

Sounds good to me, I have 2x 1200gph powerheads (not sure if they actually produce as much as they say) and a return pump that blows just as much if not more than those do =P And thats in my 50g.
I just have to point my powerheads into open areas or angled upward toward the top. And I like the amount of flow in my tank :)

I was going to go with one Ecotech MP40. Think that is good to go?

that 1130 at 4ft you wont hit after you lose some for friction elbows etc..
but i would add more flow then that using powerheads if you are planning on keeping corals.. good turnover rate would be about 40 times per hour that would allow you to keep most corals other then some sps.. my 150 I turnover a little under 50 times per hour..

Last edited:
Back