flow rates

softchxntaco

Reefing newb
i have 2 sunsun 1300gph (2600 gph combined) vibratio pumps and i think they are making too much flow, i have a 55 gallon and when i run them both my kenya tree keels over my shroom dont expand, right now i shut one down and aimed it at the rocks to break the turbulance, is there any way to slow them down without burning out the motors

are these power heads or acual pumps? If they are powerheads and they are not variable speed, then there is no way to reduce the output of them that I am aware of.

If it is a pump that could be used like a return pump, you can put a ball valve on the output, but you NEVER want to restrict the input on a pump

If you point them at a rock or the glass or something, you can spread the flow in more directions so that the flow going in one direction won't be so strong.

I have two 1400 GPH powerheads, the korilas and I'm always worried about not having enough flow in my 55 gallon. I have one of the powerheads towards the back and the other one on the other side, 48" away, towards to front to not create so much turbulence. You might look at doing that or something similar.

Choking down the effluent on a pump provides the same effect as adding head pressure. It would lower the flow for you.

You can also remove the cover and super glue a small plastic disk of some kind in front of the propeller (Inside the cover). Then replace the cover. This will diffuse the flow, meaning scatter it... and cut back on flow some amount too.

Try placing the powerhaeds in different positions around the tank. Do that until you've got the right amount flow through out the tank.

Back