flow through sump

Dakwan

Reefing newb
I have my biff(tm) cheato sitting in my sump with just eggcrate between the fuge area and skimmer area... because of my skimmer the water there is fairly turbulent which probably isn't ideal for a fuge?

Do you think this actually matters or am i just overthinking it? i can't make any real additions to the sump because the only way to get it out of the stand is from the back (which is a little difficult with a tank on top of it :D).

I have my biff(tm) cheato sitting in my sump with just eggcrate between the fuge area and skimmer area... because of my skimmer the water there is fairly turbulent which probably isn't ideal for a fuge?

Do you think this actually matters or am i just overthinking it? i can't make any real additions to the sump because the only way to get it out of the stand is from the back (which is a little difficult with a tank on top of it :D).

But wouldn it be frying all his fuge inhabitants like pods to have the skimmer and fuge in te same chamber

ya adding on to that, should the skimmer should be in the first sump chamber rather than the last chamber? then have LR, cheato and stuff behind it?

ya adding on to that, should the skimmer should be in the first sump chamber rather than the last chamber? then have LR, cheato and stuff behind it?

Exactly if the fuge is before the skimmr then the skimmer will eat up all the beneficial pods and little critters and obliterate them haha so skimmer comes last or at least after the skimmer

Exactly if the fuge is before the skimmr then the skimmer will eat up all the beneficial pods and little critters and obliterate them haha so skimmer comes last or at least after the skimmer

I think you mean "Fuge" comes after skimmer. ;)

Mine is setup skimmer --> fuge --> return

hmm anyone have any ideas on splitting up a section of the sump either with water in it? I could drain out the majority of it but wouldn't want it not running for more than a couple hours since i don't want to have to pull everything apart to move heaters and whatnot

here is what is set up currently.. not the way i would have done it but this is how it came and i didn't have the luxury of time when i bought the established tank to redo anything

sump.jpg

I dont think the pods really care if the skimmer is before the fuge or after.:D
Think about it.What kind of water flow do all those have to contend with in the wild?

I dont think the pods really care if the skimmer is before the fuge or after.:D
Think about it.What kind of water flow do all those have to contend with in the wild?

The pods might survive the spin and turbulence of a skimmer.but they'll be pulled out in the skimmate and die in the collection cup. At least then your pod supply isn't being fed into a vortex. And I think you'd be surprised at the force and pressure generated in a skimmer. Compared by force to volume, if the ocean was that rough all over, we'd be a very wet world hah

I think every one is assuming that the skimmer is taking in all the water that is going through the sump. It is only taking in a fraction of the water so most of the pods will be passing by without even entering the skimmer.

Also, the skimmer works to remove disolved organics at the surface of the bubles. Pods are large and wouldnt be captured by the bubbles. I have never seen any pods in my collection cup, my skimmer is on my DT so it should have some pods going through it,

I think every one is assuming that the skimmer is taking in all the water that is going through the sump. It is only taking in a fraction of the water so most of the pods will be passing by without even entering the skimmer.

Also, the skimmer works to remove disolved organics at the surface of the bubles. Pods are large and wouldnt be captured by the bubbles. I have never seen any pods in my collection cup, my skimmer is on my DT so it should have some pods going through it,

Not that I disagree with you but, my skimmer is on my DT as well and I can see at least 20-30 pods everytime I empty my cup. But, what you need to think of, is your return pump will probably kill more of the pods than your skimmer will collect up.

Not that I disagree with you but, my skimmer is on my DT as well and I can see at least 20-30 pods everytime I empty my cup. But, what you need to think of, is your return pump will probably kill more of the pods than your skimmer will collect up.

Exactly.. There will always be factors that contribute to the depletion of copepod populations, however I think it's beneficial to minimize them... ie by putting the skimmer before the fuge... It's gotta kill some of the little f***ers hah.

From what I understand though is that it is beneficial to have a healthy population of pods. They are free food for the fish. But I also believe that having the skimmer before the fuge or after the fuge doesnt really effect how many get killed by said skimmer.

Every manufacturer's that builds a sump with fuge and skimmer section has the skimmer section before the fuge.It has nothing to do with saving pods.It's because skimmers work better when it gets the most raw(dirtiest) water and so there is time for any leftover microbubbles to dissipate before water is returned to the display.

Back