Flowerpot coral.... yes, I'm an idiot

Here's another pic. It's all closed up because I moved it over slightly to get a better shot:

dec14031.jpg

This kind of sucks. I was getting prepared to accept a short lifespan, but this is a little rediculous!

Can I save it?

Yes is its brown jelly.Get it out quick,you don't want it to infect other corals you may have.

Take some of the Kent Iodine and tank water and follow the directions.I don't have that kind,I have Seachem reef dip.I dip for 10-15 minutes,blow water to remove the brown jelly and put in a QT.Repeat every few days if it comes back.I do have to say,the brown jelly works really fast and most of the time they don't survive.Sorry for the barer of bad news.

Here's another question:
The Kent Iodine that I have is a supplement, and doesn't have any instructions for a dip. Could I still use it? Or would I be better off with the household iodine?

I know I'm screwed, but it's worth a shot.

Oh no,thats not the right kind.You need Kent lugol's or some other kind of reef dip that contains iodine not iodine/iodide supplement.Those are two different products.

I'm not sure of the household kind either,I'm only guessing its the same as the dip kind but not as concentrated.I wouldn't know whats the correct amount to use per amount of saltwater.

You really should go to your LFS and get some reef dip.
If not then you can try the household iodine.

I've heard of using peroxide but didn't pay attention to the details.I can't even remember where I read about it.Iodine dip is the preferred method to treat brown jelly.go get some.

:eek: !!!!! I'm with reeffreak... if its that important to you why would you not take the preferred tried and true method

I would if I could, trust me. My 'local' store is almost an hour away, and there's the remnants of a snow/ice storm from yesterday that is icing up the roads again. It took me an hour and a half to get back from the store yesterday since it just started while I was in there buying the doomed coral.

My fault for not having it to begin with. I'll go buy it tomorrow, and probably never have to use it, but that's fine with me. I tried all local pharmacies, and no luck.

I'm stuck with the Kent supplement and the household iodine. One other website said to siphon off the jelly, and if possible, try to blast it off with clean tankwater, apply the iodine directly with a q-tip to the affected polyps.

I did that, it looks good for now. I'm wondering if I can put it back in the tank until tomorrow.

Or should I just kiss it goodbye right now?

you have about a 10% chance it will make it. sorry. If you want to look at my goni, I just posted a pic on a separate thread. I got crap earlier from posting a pic on someone elses thread. I tell you so you do not give up. they are TOTALLY worth it. please use the pic for inspiriation to try again. FYI, it took me four times to get a coral that finally did this. check it out on the reef photography thread.

-Doc

Its a start.
If you don't have a QT or a container,extra heater and powerhead to circulated the water then you have no choice but to put it back in the DT.Well,I guess you could toss it in the trash.I wouldn't.it looks better.

I wouldnt chunk it till its all dead.Put it in QT and keep up the dosing.You never know,You might nurse it back to look better than it was before the brown jelly.

Now that the panic is over, my Irish temper is kicking in, although I think I have nowhere to steer it to, besides myself. But I do think, if nothing else, I need to learn something from this (as pissed off as I am.)

I lost a head of frogspawn to what was probably brown jelly two days ago. I think I deserve full responsibility for that. I dropped it before I even got it in the tank. I was mad, tried to glue it back, but it didn't look right. Then I accepted the accidental frag that was made, placed it in a nice location, and a few days later it was pretty much gone (fine one day, not fine when I came home from work)

The ugly head was removed, lesson learned. Thanks to the members here for telling me what the problem was so I could prevent it from spreading!

Then I go and buy this nice coral from a reputable guy that was up all night receiving his new shipment. Not only do I buy a coral that hasn't been there more than 24 hrs, but I buy one that has the smallest life expectancy of pretty much any coral in the store. Looking back, the guy was too tired to discuss it at the time, otherwise he probably would have.

If I brought him a cup of coffee, he probably would've told me about the chance that you take when buying from stock that has just arrived in their store. I didn't bring coffee, next time I will.

Stupid me, after all of this, brings this coral home in an ice storm to my tank, that I'm planning on changing/upgrading (after Christmas) with no coral first aid remedies.

Again, a lesson learned. I'm still a little pissed, though. My bad....:grumble:

I started the thread off telling everyone I was an idiot, now you know for sure.:frustrat:

Isn't there a cheaper hobby that I could take up?

:Cheers: Ok, drinking. That sounds good to me!

Everyone:

STEP AWAY FROM THE TANK- IT'S TIME TO GO TO HAPPY HOUR!

thanks so much for the help!

Isn't there a cheaper hobby that I could take up?

:Cheers: Ok, drinking. That sounds good to me!

Everyone:

STEP AWAY FROM THE TANK- IT'S TIME TO GO TO HAPPY HOUR!

You could be like me... And just have both hobbies. As Homer Simpson would say...Alcohol. The cause and solution of every problem on earth!

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make impulse buys once in a while. At least you only lost 1/2 a frogspawn and (maybe) a fower pot. It's not like your mistake crashed your whole tank. Lessons need to be learned firsthand. It's human nature to have to find stuff out for ourselves!

Don't worry. In a few days, you'll realize this wasn't that big of a deal. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to accidentally kill a few things before you learn how to do things right...

Karma will hold me accountable for dozens of deaths by my incompetent hand at the start of this hobby. Don't stress

-Doc

We all make stupid mistakes.Been there done that,gonna do it a few more times while I'm still young enough to live through it too.

Today, it looks like crap. The brown jelly is gone in the spots where I put the iodine directly in it, but it's come back around the edges. I'm going to try to dip it again and see what happens.

I'm a little less aggrivated now, and more curious to see if I can save this thing. I'll post a pic later after the traetment.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Back