Fluidized bed filters questions from a noob

jmadden93

Reefing newb
A friend gave me 2 "Red Sea Merlin Plus 120 Fluidized Bed Filters". I'm new to this type of filter (have only really used a sump, bio balls, protein skimmer as my filtration for my FOWLR tank) and from what I gather it helps keep phosphate & nitrate levels down but I don't know how effective they are. I have a few questions.

1) What's the benefit of this filter to my system that already uses the above filtration? Is this replacement for other filters or a supplemental filter? Worth using?

2) How does this compare to a "2 little fishes phosban reactor" and of the two which would you choose? (I could sell these and buy the 2 little fishes model for about $35)

3) What type of media do i have to buy for these filters?

Thanks for your help!

Product Info Link:
Red Sea Merlin Plus 60 Fluidized Bed Sand Filter

Here is the manual from the "Merlin Plus 120":

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

It looks like it's similar to a phosban reactor but it runs its own chemical media cartridges as well

Bascially, you use these types of filters to run something for phosphate control (phosban, GFO, etc) or with some adaptation you can run bio pellets, which scrub both nitrates and phosphates from the water

Generally, these reactors are run in addition to using live rock and protein skimming (a skimmer is NECCESARY if you run bio pellets to export the growing bacteria from the system)

Personally, I have not heard anything about this particular reactor, but the Two Little Fishies phosban reactors have a decent reputation. I recently set one up on my system to run bio pellets

Back