Flukes and Small Fish

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I picked up 2 small firefish for my nano tank a week ago. Both are doing well and eating but now clearly have flukes on them (both looked healthy at the store). I would like to do a fresh water dip on them but know firefish can easily stress out and am not sure how long a small fish can handle fresh water. If I'm able to net them, how long should I leave them in the fresh water, and do I need to raise the pH of the fresh water to match the sw tank?

I did a FW dip once. I don't remember how, but I know that I had to match the temp and ph to the tank. I ended up buying some ph up to match it, and got the temp just right. The black ich on my fish did indeed drop off, but he did not survive the stress. I think I left him in there for maybe 10 min? I can't remember..

If its showing signs, why not just treat it with prazi?

Somehow this didn't cross my mind LOL

I treated them last night with prazipro, and watched the flukes begin to fall off within 5 minutes. The purple firefish looks clean today, and the red firefish looks soo much better but still has some flukes on it. I'll give it the recommended amount of time but may need to treat again. This worked very well, thanks for the suggestion!

Oh, and interestingly enough, nothing else responded negatively to the prazipro except my pulsing xenia, which closed up and withered almost instantly after I dosed the tank. Its back out looking normal today (I kinda wish it had killed off some of it LOL). Mushrooms, frogs, montis, snails, and my hermit had no reaction.

Back