Foam in refugium

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
My 90 gallon tank has been running for 4 days now. I am getting a lot of foam in the refugium and air bubbles in the tank. Is this normal ? The water level went down in the pump part of the filter, I added more water. Here are some pics. Hard to see the air bubbles in the tank. We haven't got the skimmer yet, still on back order.

Attachments

• IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2182.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 562
That is a lot of foam.
I dont know why your getting that much in your fuge,but if you'll raise the water level in the return compartment to almost the top of the last baffle,it should stop the bubbles from making it back to your display.

Thanks, I'll raise the water and see if that helps. The flow ? I have a 950 gph pump. The intake I slowed down cause it was gushing pretty hard. Should I let it go in the refugium faster ?

I dont think that increasing the flow throu will help much as far as the bubbles getting back to the display.But raising the water level in the return to the the top of tha baffle will should get the bubbles away from the pump.

to stop all the foam i would try putting an 90 elbow on it so its sitting halfway in the water and halfway out so air can get out and i think that will fix the foam part.

Well, I raised the water level. It looks better in the tank, still some tiny bubbles, but, not near as bad as it was. As for the foam, it's still there. I'll work on that.
Thanks for the help...... :)

Back