Foggy eyed Angel

Redsprint

Reefing newb
Hello All,

New to the site so excuse me as I'm sure there are a hundred threads on this. I will look!

I have had a 2x2x4 reef tank for 16 years. Have had very little trouble with fish. Have a percula clown that has been in their for the whole 16 years, and two surgeon fish for aroundd 7 years. I lost a Koran Angel a couple of months ago that I had for eight years. he had pop eye around three years ago, survived but was blind in that eye. Ultimatelly the eye and then both eyes became covered with mucus or "cloudy eye" and he died.

I now have an Asfur Angel. Got him three weeks ago. I can hand feed him as he was already doing that in the shop. He had mid squables with the surgeons, though not the full on wars that can break out with new fish.

He eats very well, mysis shrimp, clam, pelet food, marine mix, greens etc.

Water quality is good in the tank, so the tests show.

However he developed cloudy eye in one eye last week. I though he may have been nicked by another fish, or on a rock or perhaps a parasite.I have read lots of things on the net, and spoke to local aquariums. I have tried triple sulfa, which is supposed to be reef safe (sort of). had fed him fresh garlic (loves it), lowered my salt from .023 to .020.
temperature is 26C. He still looks unafected, eats lots and is very livelly .No other fish shows anty sympton.

I could set up a treatmaent tank but it is hard to get him out with all the live rock etc. Is their anything that people can suggest?

Sorry if its a rather basic question.

Paolo

Hello and welcome! Im sorry I cant answer your question because I am new to this but Im so impressed that you have had your clown that long!!

Thanks, He is a determined little fella. Some of the stores down here tend not to believe it but it is true.

I got a pair 16 yrs ago, the female died after about 6 years. The next one (female ) died after about 5 years and I have left him on his own since then. A marine biologist at Herron Island (in the Great Barrier Reef) told me of one Female Percula Clown known to be 20 years old, or at least 20 since they started monitoring her(in the wild). She has been in the same anenome etc. all that time. She is named "Killer" because she actually nipped some skin of one of the dive masters fingers! Brave.:D

Hello and welcome! Im sorry I cant answer your question because I am new to this but Im so impressed that you have had your clown that long!!

Welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard.
How many gallons/liters is your tank...you only have it listed as 2x2x4.

If your tank is too small for that angel, that could be why he has the eye issues.

But as long as he is eating well, i would bring your salinity back up to normal and just keep feeding him. Sometimes the stress of QT and treatment is more than the issue in the first place.

If your tank is too small for that angel, that could be why he has the eye issues.

But as long as he is eating well, i would bring your salinity back up to normal and just keep feeding him. Sometimes the stress of QT and treatment is more than the issue in the first place.

Tank is 87 gallons which I think is marginal but not too bad for him. He is adult in colour but still smaller than a cigarette packet at the moment.

Tonight the bottom two thirds of the eye is clearing almost completelly. Could it be the triple sulfa or just natural healing and coincidence? Local shop thought it might be a parasite inside the eye and that he would almost certainly lose it. I think it more likely that he got slashed by the smaller yellow tang which always has a go at the angel. Mind you the angel doesn't seem that fussed by it.

He certainly eats well. Would anyone suggest continuing with the triple sulfa?

Thanks for the welcome and comments btw

Is your tank 4' long or 4' tall? 2' long isn't enough for the sugeonfish and 4' still isn't enough for any large angel.

Back