Following the TANK DISASTER!!! Alkalinity and pH problems?

dkonni

Reefing newb
Hello,

Recently (3-4 weeks ago) I had a tank disaster brought on by a new purchase at a Local Fish Store, specifically a Red Algae Blenny (brought disease). After all my fish died in nearly a week, I began to freak out and start the water changes and remove all dead livestock. My hermits, urchins, and shrimp are the only things living right now, I tested the water and my Nitrite's, Nitrate's, were all fine but the Alkalinity was Low and the pH was low. Which leads me to ask, What causes Low Alkalinity and pH levels?

The invert's left living look healthy but I am just trying to let the tank recycle on it's own. There has been a lot of algae growth following the tank disaster, purple hair algae.

There are a lot of things that can cause the alkalinity to drop.
Coralline algae uses the alkalinity along with calcium.Corals use it.Low alkalinity in the salt your using.
It could really be about anything using it.

A low pH is usually caused by high CO2 levels. High CO2 can result when the aquarium is still cycling, and has excess acid being produced from the nitrogen cycle and degradation of organics to CO[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE]. My guess is that your recent die-off caused a mini-cycle, and that forced your pH down.

This is exactly why it is recomended to QT your specimens befor we put them into our display tank. But I cant scold anyone cause i never do. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, hope everything starts to turn around for you.:Cheers:

Back