food

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
I just got my first clam, what do you feed it and how do you feed it. Do you just spot feed it plankton or brine shrimp like i do other corals and such

Some one once told me to feed them oyster eggs and they would grow rapidly. I have had one for about 1 1/2 years and it's doubled in size without any direct feedings whatsoever.

Light should be all the food your clams need. The particles it filters from the water column for supplemental nutrition are way too small to be sold in a bottle (that I know of). Bottled phyto will most likely just pollute your water and make everything sad.

I fed mine,when I had one, phytoplankton once a week...I've read somewhere that it is not a good idea to directly spot feed them, just place food in water and let them filter it, but like mentioned, good lighting and calcium levels should be enough for them to thrive.

Yeah, and in a perfect world I could grow coraline on demand and remove HA with a magic wand. I want to know how long YOUR clams lived, in real tanks, with real conditions.

all depends on your water i have had mine for almost 2 years some people have had them for 10 years some people have had them live for a couple weeks

I've had several clams, I had croceas that have lived 4+ years, Gigantis clam that lived for 8+ years (it died because my anemone decided to camp on it over night and it stressed it out) I had a tear drop maxima that lived 7+ years, until my blue face angel (which is not reef safe) decided to eat it, I was trying to break the rules, see where it got me. :(

These were clams that went into my tanks that had been running for 2-3 years, the ones I put in before this didn't last only 6 months or so.

I've had several clams, I had croceas that have lived 4+ years, Gigantis clam that lived for 8+ years (it died because my anemone decided to camp on it over night and it stressed it out) I had a tear drop maxima that lived 7+ years, until my blue face angel (which is not reef safe) decided to eat it, I was trying to break the rules, see where it got me. :(

These were clams that went into my tanks that had been running for 2-3 years, the ones I put in before this didn't last only 6 months or so.

I assume they key to your success was keeping excellent water quality all that time. True?

water quality is very very important for clams. I'm sure thats why the clams I had before my tanks had fully matured died.

They do like some nitrates but not high amounts.

Back