?? for the Techies

Bifferwine

I am a girl
My lights have two ballasts. There are three plugs (total) coming out of the ballasts. I had these three plugs plugged into a powerstrip, which went to an outlet (so all three plugs are in the same outlet). Last night I had to unplug the powerstrip to move things around, and the plug of the powerstrip was so hot that the end was almost melted. Neal said that was dangerously hot, and suggested that I plug the three plugs into three different outlets. Keep in mind, I have 4 x 250 watt MH plus another 200 watts of T5. What should I do? I don't want to start a fire :(

sounds like it is about time run a heavy duty extension cord (easiest if you have a basement) to the tank from another socket in the house to separate some of them. i have mine running from different timers and wall sockets, and they come on in a 30 minute sequence ... right on ...(30min) ... middle on (30min) ... left on. they go off in the same order.

anyway, if you run a cord from another wall socket or two it will split the heat to however many you decide to run. i would hate to imagine how hot the Romex (electrical wire) in the wall was getting.

Or just get a better powerstrip. The powerstrip shouldn't be plastic, I have heard numerous stories about how a fire was started by a crappy powerstrip. Get a metal industrial powerstrip. chances are the strip you were using couldn't handle the watts that were produced by the light. Calculate your watts and buy a powerstrip that can handle it. It will say on the box how many watts the powerstrip is capable of.

I got mine from Lowes, the brand name is Prime, it is a black metel powerstrip.

Good Luck

OK so you have a total of 1200 watts on one outlet.

Is this the only think on that outlet or are there pumps and other things on that outlet?

A little math here for you

Power(Watts)= Current(Amps) X Volts

1200W = Amps X 110 Volts

1200W / 110V = Amps = 11 Amps

Most house hold circuits are rated at 15 Amps.

If all you have on there is the lighting, AND no other outlet in the house is attached to the same circuit, then you should be fine just getting a new power strip.

Also, AVOID running an extension cord to aleviat the problem. Yeah it might work for a while but you run the risk of that cord getting damaged or wet (if run through the basement) over heating and then catching fire.

I agree with reeffreak, call someone who knows what they are doing!!!!! Electricity is dangerous. If I lived closer I would offer since I am an electrician. But please do yourself a favor and get some one qualified

Brian

Yep, the lights are the only thing I am running on that particular outlet. All the other equipment is spread out over two other outlets.

Then since your circuit breaker isnt tripping, it is definantly the power strip. Get one rated for more than what you need and you should be fine.

Brian

I'm sure happy you posted that Brian.
Kept me from having to type that much.:D
Every thing on my tank is run off seperate outlets.2 plug to an outlet.Built my cords to run over from the outlets that were to far.

I swear! my cat has a bald stomach,

The crazy cat Licks the hair off her "AREA" and sits on her Rump in a pretty impressive Hustler pose. Quite funny I will get a pic the next chance i get . my bald pussy , hehe.

any how!

biff you may not have anything else on that socket, but that dosn't mean there isn't anything pulling amps on the circut. a typical plug could be ran inline with a number of orher electrical connections in your house ,
Just a FYI there , but i would suggest a better powerbar.

I swear! my cat has a bald stomach,

The crazy cat Licks the hair off her "AREA" and sits on her Rump in a pretty impressive Hustler pose. Quite funny I will get a pic the next chance i get . my bald pussy , hehe.

Next time you take her to the vet, ask him/her to check her anal glands. No joke. I bet you anything they are full and swollen, and she is licking like crazy to try and relieve the discomfort.

Next time you take her to the vet, ask him/her to check her anal glands. No joke. I bet you anything they are full and swollen, and she is licking like crazy to try and relieve the discomfort.

But she licks with passion.
not like she uncomfy at all,

Back