For Yote

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by KevinMs, Jul 6, 2013.

1. KevinMs

KevinMs

I figured you could appreciate this Yote.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KevinMs, Jul 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. KevinMs

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

Sheet metal duct work! Fun stuff...... uh no.

motorcyclereefer, Jul 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. KevinMs

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Sheetmetal is ALWAYS fun John. :D

Thats a good looking drop cheek Kevin.
    I like you shop layout too. Plenty of space to put the duct together with the equipment positioned for easy of access.
    What brand cleat folder is that ?

yote, Jul 7, 2013
  4. KevinMs

2XAl Salt Addict VIP Member

the real question is what does the scrap/miscut pile look like...

2XAl, Jul 12, 2013
  5. KevinMs

KevinMs

Hah!! Thankfully it's not that bad.

KevinMs, Jul 13, 2013
  6. KevinMs

Good for you then, it's been a while since I've had to do layout and fab- on something like that I'm sure it would take a while and an embarrassing amount of waste, Nice job!

2XAl, Jul 13, 2013
  7. KevinMs

I take it that your a sheetmetal man too 2XA1?

I'll be the first to admit that made a hell of scrap pile on the first few I had to lay out. Same with square to rounds. But thankfully the last 10 or so years I was in the trade I had a Ny-Tec and a Plasma machine so there wasn't as much scrap.

I loved the convenience and speed of both machines, especially on those rush jobs. But at the same time I hated them because they take the art and skill out of the shop work.

Hand lay-out is a dying art and these kids coming up in the trade don't care to take the time to learn it. They'll wish they had when that $6000 control box goes out on the plas though.

yote, Jul 13, 2013
  8. KevinMs

I am an hvac mechanic but I started in the sheet metal shop doing had layout., Learned the trade from an old timer that worked at a local shipyard. If it could be done that man could do it. I was a quick study so I moved on from the shop too fast, but I still like going back when we have unit changeouts and there isn't a duct guy available

2XAl, Jul 13, 2013
  9. KevinMs

I started out on the insulating table. 4 years later I was running the shop. The only time I got to go on change outs was when it was something more complicated to measure up.

I always enjoyed building curb adapters for rooftop units. Especially when they had to twist and center taper.

Been out of the trade for 3 years now because of screwed up nerves in my shoulder. But I miss the work and miss working with the guys.

yote, Jul 14, 2013
  10. KevinMs

KevinMs

I started out as a helper for the shop layout man. At the time our company was tiny so we made all the duct then went and installed our share. Not to mention rough ins, change outs commercial installs ect ect ..I'm pretty well rounded and have enough experience to know that I hate an attic:D
    I enjoy the more challenging aspects of layout, adapter curbs are a fine example. I have to completely agree with you Yote, Sheetmetal layout by hand is a dying art. I have 5 helpers under me and none of them could care less about learning. All they want to learn is the plasma cutter and coil line..If either goes down and I am not around, they are screwed. 2XAI, its pretty awesome that you have that knowledge and enjoy it when given the chance. Our commercial and residential guys could care less. Many of them are young and dont even know how to make a field offset.

KevinMs, Jul 14, 2013
  11. KevinMs

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

I am in the home building/remolding trade and I hate it when stuff starts dying out as well. I love watching old timers use the old stuff instead of the new machinery.

motorcyclereefer, Jul 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question