Found a crab

KillerChimps3600

Reefing newb
Ok so I already have a red eye reef crab hitchhiker that i found about a week ago. And just not looking into the tank with a flash light i spotted what pretty much looks like a small jumping spider but with a red body. I can only assume its some type of crab but hes really small so I dont think ill be able to get a picture.

Any clues on what it could be or ideas about what to do with it?

Thanks.

also not even sure it is a red eye reef crab, hes just green and has red eyes. He never really leaves his little hole and when i shine a light on him he hurrys back in, tried a trap with shrimp but didn't work.

Last edited:
Yeah I just got a better look at him, they looked to be pointed and also a little red. The right claw seems to about the same size as his body, so im sure thats not good. He was picking stuff off the rock and eating it though. But im sure i have 2 not so safe crabs in the tank now.

I also have found in 2 spots on the same rock these weird clear tentical looking things that when i shine the light on them, retract into the rock, the most i counted on one of them was 3. Ha I never knew you could find so many weird little hitchhikers at night with a flashlight its pretty crazy.

Last edited:
In the evening, take a knee high panty hose and prop it open it up with a piece of table shrimp inside. The crab will venture out and go inside and get tangled up in the hose and get trapped.

Good luck on catching the crabs! I have one side of my tank where every time I add peppermint shrimp they never live on. I added 2 more pep shrimp and the one on that side never showed back up. I'm thinking I may have some sort of crab living in one of the rocks there but I haven't seen it yet. I may try this pantyhose trick as well.

ha nope not yet

Will do guys if i catch either one of em! I read if you pour carbonated water on them they will run out of the rock so i may try that haha

Last edited:
Best pic I have of the red eye reef crab if that is what he is? idk

Hes right in the middle you can his little red eyes and darkish green lines down his back.

IMG_1925small.jpg

Good luck on catching the crabs! I have one side of my tank where every time I add peppermint shrimp they never live on. I added 2 more pep shrimp and the one on that side never showed back up. I'm thinking I may have some sort of crab living in one of the rocks there but I haven't seen it yet. I may try this pantyhose trick as well.

well Cotton sea spiders feed of inverts such as shrimp and crabs alike also will attach them self's to a nems foot even to fish. I hope its not a sea spider I would not wish them on any one :(

Back