Foxface with cloudy eyes

This past weekend I put my magnificant foxface in my DT after a 5 week quarantine where I treated with Prazipro and Cupramine. Within the first few days after I got him I noticed he had cloudy eyes. I read that it could be due to poor water quality. But my params were fine and I did frequent water changes in my 30 gal QT. But I thought maybe it was still the problem and would go away when he got into the DT. But he still has somewhat cloudy eyes and I'm not sure if he sees that well because it seems sometimes he passes up pieces of food when I feed the tank. Could he be going blind or something? I read other people said their foxfaces have cloudy eyes also, so maybe it's normal? Sorry I can't get a better pic because he's a little shy.

1260.jpg

Last edited:
Does he eat well? Is he active?

5 weeks is a pretty long time. Maybe he just has cloudy eyes.

Someone more knowledgeable in fish disease will probably have more info, though.

He has a good appetite and is active. Maybe he's just getting used to competing for food and that's why he seems to miss some food. He's a little shy and the other fish are so fast at getting the food. But at least he gets the nori all to himself (mostly).

If the eye will clear up will depend a lot of why is becoming cloudy in the first place. I imagine that the eye is becoming cloudy due to damage to the cells of the eye (so mechanical or damage from poor water conditions) or it could also be something more along the lines of a cataract.

I would imagine that the copper would have cleared out any possible infection, but the damage from an eye infection could have happened before you had him and was then exaggerated by the copper.

As long as he is eating, i would just leave him be and see if it clears up or get worse. I would imagine that his vision is somewhat impaired by cloudyness which is why he is missing food, but he might not like that food or is shy like you mentioned.

Did you notice a change in his eyes? Like they weren't cloudy before? My foxface always had what I would consider cloudy eyes -- it looked like he had cataracts. The foxfaces I've seen at the LFS look the same.

I was looking at my friend's foxface and noticed it had cloudy eyes, I asked him and he said he thought they were all like that...

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think his eyes were like that when I got him, but I didn't notice in the store. So maybe it's just normal for them. He can see larger pieces of food better. He loves mysis but sometimes passes it up I think because he can't see it because it's small. He seems pretty happy and healthy otherwise so I guess I shouldn't worry about it (not much I can do anyway).

Okay good. I really love this fish.

Hey BL1, I just got an exquisite fairy wrasse from Vanuatu from LA this past Friday. He's really tiny - about 2 inches. He doesn't look much like the picture on LA - I'm hoping he will look more like that as he gets older? He's so tiny he will only eat really tiny pieces of mysis right now. (BTW I call all fish "he" for whatever reason, I have no idea if this is male or female as they did not specify that). Really bad pictures, since my camera is not so good and he won't pose for me ;)

1259.jpg

1272.jpg

OMG it's Brian.

Damn righ it is ;)

Okay good. I really love this fish.

Hey BL1, I just got an exquisite fairy wrasse from Vanuatu from LA this past Friday. He's really tiny - about 2 inches. He doesn't look much like the picture on LA - I'm hoping he will look more like that as he gets older? He's so tiny he will only eat really tiny pieces of mysis right now. (BTW I call all fish "he" for whatever reason, I have no idea if this is male or female as they did not specify that). Really bad pictures, since my camera is not so good and he won't pose for me ;)
]

If your wrasse is that small its most likely still a juvi/female. The pics that LA usually uses for the wrasses are pics of dominant/ super males. Usually you'll need at least one female with it in order to get those colors. And even then, a lot of people have trouble keeping them that vibrant. If your fish sees what th other fish are eating they'll usually start eating it too ... My wrasses always ate everything including nori sheets.

Pics with wrasses are always incredibly tough, I always had to take about 300 pics to get a few good ones of mine.

If your wrasse is that small its most likely still a juvi/female. The pics that LA usually uses for the wrasses are pics of dominant/ super males. Usually you'll need at least one female with it in order to get those colors. And even then, a lot of people have trouble keeping them that vibrant.
QUOTE]

Oh well, it's still a beautiful fish. I bet that many people are dissapointed when they get it and it looks nothing like the picture. I think I might stick to Divers Den next time because I also bought corals from the regular site that looked quite different than what I expected.

I never noticed before, but I just took a look at my One Spot FF. It looks like it has cloudy eyes too! He eats well, swims well and appears healthy in every aspect. Maybe its just the FF in general?

Back