Frag Swaps are lame...

Lets see how work goes between now and then.
If it slows down enough that I can get some time off,I just might make that trip.I'd like to see that part of the country any how.

Slows down enough? Most of us are begging for work to pick up! haha.

BTW, my first (and only) experience at a frag swap was the same immediate impression...your "Star Trek Convention" description really made me laugh.

I didn't really get much but I also didn't really spend much and it turns out some of the tiny frags I got there have become some of my favorites.

Now that I know a little more about the hobby I can't wait until the next swap in January. Not for the social aspect but more for the cheap frags that I can watch develop in my tank.

Last edited:
Solarfall, it's a shame you left early. I wrestled Smitty's Duncan killing clown fish at the end of the day!

But seriously, maybe this particular event wasn't the right event for you. Try a different one, different place, different people. Kinda hard to judge an entire group of people and events off a one time trip.

Frag swaps are hit or miss. It definatley helps to know people, and to know what you are buying, most people go to swaps to sell and buy the rare and unusual things that you can't get at your LFS for $30.00 a frag being Limited editions these corals your LFS just doesn't buy. These same frags will sell on the internet for $50. or more. Investments.

I have went to several swaps over the years as a seller and a buyer. The best time to go is at the end of the swaps, everyone will be reducing and selling frags for cheaper, (they don't want to take them back home with them) also you can barter with them "sell me these 2 for $40.) etc.

sorry your experience was unpleasant.

i've never been to a frag swap, and i'm not really a club kinda guy, but i can definately see how this could be really cool or really lame... I've been to enough ham-fests and swap meets to know that some people show up with some junk that they are really too proud of $$ wise, and then there are thoes rare jewels tucked away in a corner, just waiting to be discovered.

same is true for the saxet gun shows, if you know what your looking at, and can talk inteligently with the seller, you can normally talk them down on the price, but if you dont know, well, they might as well make a little extra profit then, huh?!

then there are thoes sellers that they dont know what they have, so you either can talk them into a hell of a deal cause they dont know better, or they arent willing to work with you at all cause they dont know how to...

Back