frag tank ??

imdaring

love my reef
I have so many frags in my tank that I want to start a temp frag tank we are limited for space right now and I'm going to start with a small tank right now but I will be going bigger once we move to the new house

Questions
1. how many wts for a 10 gal tank?
2. can I just use a clip on shop light set up for now
3. and were can I get the right kind of bulbs that would fit in to one of those shop lights?
4. were can I get a small U tube over flow box for the sump

nedd to get it set up soon my frags keep getting nocked over and theya are starting to look a little ill

Have you thought about glueing some eggcrete to a couple of old mag floats?
That would give you a cheap way to go since its only temperary.

I have a rack that I had forgotten about and put it in my main tank but I think it makes my tank look like crap and my snail still knock stuff off of it most of my frags are on rubble rock. so I would still like to set up a temp 10 gal frag tank I have one more question
if I do this do I need to set up a sump?? or can I use a hang on back filter

Use a HOB skimmer instead of the filter.A couple of powerheads to move the water.
You'll still need a good light.A shop light just wont cut it for corals.

I know a shop light wont do the trick for a light but is there a bulb that would fit in a shop light ??

Use a HOB skimmer instead of the filter.A couple of powerheads to move the water.
You'll still need a good light.A shop light just wont cut it for corals.

would this work???

6 x 26W 26 watt 5000K Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

DSC_0037.JPG

this was on fosters

Mini Compact Bulbs

dot_clear.gif

*Intensify the lighting of your small aquarium*Shines brighter than incandescent with less wattage*Fits into standard medium-based lamp sockets
Energy efficient compact fluorescent bulbs offer more intensity and longer life than incandescent bulbs while saving space and generating less heat. Each 10W compact fluorescent bulb shines as bright as a 50W incandescent for an easy way to upgrade lighting conditions. Helps promote plant growth in small aquariums. Each bulb screws into standard sockets. Self-ballasted. 6,000-hour bulb life. Coralife 50/50
50% 10,000°K daylight and 50% Actinic 03 blue. Great for fresh and saltwater aquariums. Coralife Colormax
6,700°K full spectrum lamps with color-enhancing phosphors. Ideal for freshwater aquariums. Please click on "More Information" for general information.

The All-Glass 10 watt Mini Compact is an efficient replacement bulb for the small aquarium. This bulb features more natural aquarium lighting and easily screws into many aquarium hoods. This bulb provides 6,500°K color temperature light that promotes live aquatic plant growth for your fresh and saltwater aquariums. Mini Compact Bulbs also feature the equivalent light output of 50 watts of light and run cooler. Longer 6,000-hour life replaces 6 tubular incandescent bulbs and the Mini Compact uses less energy to operate. All-Glass Mini Compact aquarium bulbs are C UL US listed and operate in 110-130V AC.

Testimonial By: Testimonial:Kelly Kaderabek
Aberdeen, SD
I switched out my incandescent bulbs for these and WOW! This light shines so much brighter and cleaner. No more of that yellow look to the aquarium. I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't want to replace their hood.
Submit Testimonial | Ask Customer ServiceAmanda Adamczyk
[City Not Selected], IL
The Coralife Colormax bulb is great for my 2.5 nano planted aquarium. It really does make the plants grow and it makes clear water actually look clear, while incandescent makes it look yellow.
Submit Testimonial | Ask Customer ServiceSundeep
Edinboro, PA
Love these bulbs, wanted to put 2X48" T5's, but I tried these for my 55 gallon reef tank, wow they work just as good as any of the T8, T12,T5's. I have 4 of these installed in the canopy, with 50W output (10W usage) total 200W output saves me money on electric bill. You don't even need to have a fan because they barely produce any heat. I can touch and hold the bulbs after having them on all day. You can't go wrong with these, all you need are base sockets and some wiring and you can make your own lighting fixture for under $60 (for a 55 gallon reef tank).
Submit Testimonial | Ask Customer ServiceLouie
Miami, FL
I recently purchased the 50/50 bulb from Drs. Foster and Smith thinking that it would simply add a bit of blue to my tank but was surprised how nice it is. It is a true 50/50 spectrum and am very happy with it.
Submit Testimonial | Ask Customer Service
Lighting OverviewAn important component of an aquarium that often gets overlooked is lighting. This article gives a basic description of available aquarium lighting systems.Aquarium Lighting Selection GuideWhat's the difference between fluorescent, incandescent, metal halide, VHO, T5, Compact Fluorescent, and other aquarium lighting fixtures? This selection guide answers this and other questions to help you choose the right lighting system.How to Light-up your aquatic LifeWhen designing your aquarium lighting system, your goal should be to duplicate natural conditions. Thanks to recent advancements in lighting technology, this has become an easier task. Learn how in this article.See All Articles

CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE

Let me start by saying a frag tank isn't something you can just throw together and grow coral. As with a display, you need proper filtration, proper flow and proper lighting. With no fish in a frag tank, you must feed the coral. With food comes excess nutrients and the need for proper filtration.
Now if you want to keep some mushrooms or soft coral polyps (notice I said keep, not grow and propagate), you can use 1 of those spiral CF bulbs. You need the correct light for the coral you plan on keeping, regardless if it's in your display or frag tank. In fact, many ppl have more intense lighting on their frag systems than their displays.
A frag tank is no less work than a display...and can be alot more work than a fish only tank. I don't want to discourage you, just want to let you know it's not as easy as it may seem.

I know all of that I have a reef tank now with 250wt halide and 4 54 wt pc T5's
what I'm wondering how many wts of lighting do I need for a 10 gal frag tank and what would the best filtration be???

I'm going to hook up a larger frag tank when we move into our new house that I plan on having hooked up to my main tank so what I need is a temp frag tank to move all of the frags that I have now because they are over taking my tank..

I know all of that I have a reef tank now with 250wt halide and 4 54 wt pc T5's
what I'm wondering how many wts of lighting do I need for a 10 gal frag tank and what would the best filtration be???
What's a 54 wt pc T5?

70w MH clip on light would work well...with a chiller. I don't think there are any T5's shorter than 24".
Sump, live rock and skimmer is the best filtration....but you already know that. ;)

I would suggest you just buy the better lights now, even if they are too big for your temp tank, because anything that is going to work at all, is going to cost some cash. If you spend the cash now for lighting that fits a 10 gal, when you upgrade later it wont be enough and you will have to do it all over again. Is there any way that you can plumb this into your display now for filtration?

Sorry about that I ment 54wt ATI

What's a 54 wt pc T5?

70w MH clip on light would work well...with a chiller. I don't think there are any T5's shorter than 24".
Sump, live rock and skimmer is the best filtration....but you already know that. ;)

Back