fragging corals

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
I have done some reading on coral fragging but just wanted to get everyones opinion on the best way to go about it and what to do since this is something i have never done. i plan doing it with my kenya tree so i can give part of it to my friends 180 and another part for my 80.

Kenya trees are super easy. Take a razor blade and cut a branch off. Simple as that. You don't even need to glue the frags down, they will automatically reattach to anything you stick them into. I've got way too many, I end up throwing them in the trash. Kenya weeds, Yote calls them.

Another thing that works well when fragging, especially for mushrooms is to set them in little plastic cup (the ones that resteraunts use for condiments) full of crushed coral, and once the mushrooms attaches to some of the crush coral, take it out and used elmers super glue to attach it to where ever you want it.

For Kenya Trees just cut a branch,then wrap a rubber band loosely around the base of the coral and rock rubble/frag plug.Depending on the corals(Kenya's included),I like using a needle and fishing line.Poke a hole thru the base with the needle and tie the string around the rock/plug.

My favorite method is to hack off a chunk that will make the original piece look good (I would hate to have my tank looking bad) and when I replace the frag, I use a small piece of existing rock to pin the new frag to its new spot on the tank. Softies are easiest to do, LPS are more difficult. I have done it three times with my green nepthia. Good Luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back