Fragging Zoas

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I have a small colony of zoas on a cement disk, but I want to get them off and put them on a piece of live rock to start a colony in my display tank. How do you guys frag zoas?

You don't, really. You just wedge the disk in the rock and wait for them to spread. You can cut them off, but you risk killing them in the process.

mine were just superglued onto a frag disk. they peeled off really easy since superglue usually doesnt hold that well.

Take a pair of bone cutting pliers and trim the rock away, as much as you dare. I just try to chop off as much of the rock as I can without breaking it. If you break the rock into 2 pieces, just take a sharp razor blade to the split and cut the zoas right at the base where they are attached to the rock. Slice it into 2 frags.

Hopefully, you won't bust the rock into 2 pieces. Just trim off as much as you can and then wedge them into a pocket on some live rock. Or, set them down on a shelf and put another small rock next to them. They will spread out and grow onto the new rock. Pick it up and slice the 2 frags apart when they have spread enough.

it really depends on the size of the colony. the smaller the colony, the less likely I would be to try anything drastic. I like letting the zoas move at their own pace onto close rocks. That is the part of the hobby that is hard, waiting. I am not patient either.

I would just place it gently packed around with rubble or small hunks of rock and let them go for 2 months. you will get several smaller colonies.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back