Fragging

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Does anyone else frag their own corals? If so, which corals have you fragged?

I have been practicing with mushrooms and the are turning out great. So far I have fragged 4 watermelon mushrooms off of a single shroom. I am going to do some Zoas this weekend.

Fragging is a great way to save money:bounce:

true..economical and fun..hehhe..ive frag zoas, gorgonias, and now palys with great results...never done it with shrooms, but ive seen how its done..keep it going, and good luck

With those Hawks,you just find the bare skeleton under the fleshy part.Then you just cut it there with a pair of good sharp bone cutters,horse shoe tongs,or side cutters.Then just glue it to a rock.

Fraged my millipora,hydraphora(sp),and monti.All 3 by accident.But there all doing great.

true..economical and fun..hehhe..ive frag zoas, gorgonias, and now palys with great results...never done it with shrooms, but ive seen how its done..keep it going, and good luck

A little tip with shrooms.

-Get yourself those little 2 ounce plastic containers (like the ones at some fast food resteraunts that you put ketchup in)

-Rinse some crushed coral and place in the plastic container

-Put your mushroom on a clean surface, use a fresh razor blade and cut the mushroom in half, making sure you cut it right down the middle.

-Now place the mushrooms in the plastic container on top of the crushed coral. Put the container in an area of your tank with low flow. Within a week or two the mushrooms should attach to a few peice of the crushed coral, and you can now take the mushroom and glue it to whatever peice of live rock that you want to in your tank.:sfish:

Rc,every coral has a different technique when it comes to fragging.

I fragged leathers,colts and shrooms.When fragging colts,I just cut a branch off with a razor blade(in a separate container).I use fishing line and needle,pierce it thru the base and wrap the string around a frag plug.

A little tip with shrooms.

-Get yourself those little 2 ounce plastic containers (like the ones at some fast food resteraunts that you put ketchup in)

-Rinse some crushed coral and place in the plastic container

-Put your mushroom on a clean surface, use a fresh razor blade and cut the mushroom in half, making sure you cut it right down the middle.

-Now place the mushrooms in the plastic container on top of the crushed coral. Put the container in an area of your tank with low flow. Within a week or two the mushrooms should attach to a few peice of the crushed coral, and you can now take the mushroom and glue it to whatever peice of live rock that you want to in your tank.:sfish:

If you do that, I've found that the current will eventually blow the mushroom frag out of the cup. I solve this problem by buying some bridal veil mesh (you can get it at any craft store or fabric store) and cutting a square of the mesh and using a rubberband to keep the mesh in place on the cup. This way the frag still gets light and current, but can't float out of the cup.

I fragged my xenia by accident the day I got it

Didnt realize that it was attached to two chunks of LR so just picked up the one and it ripped right in half. Both xenias are doing great though :)

Brian

Back