Fragging?

amonya

Reefing newb
Im still new to the whole frag seen so is my yellow gorgiana fragging its dropped two branches i dont think its dieing becase the polyps are still extending at night its tissue hasent deteriated(uuuu)Ive read they do sometimes drop branches but they never show what it looks like (in books)anyone suggest a good book on this matter. :regular_wALSO WHEN FRAGGIND GORG THEY SAY TO PULL THE SKIN BACK OVER THE SKELETION AND GLUE BUT I GUESS THIS HAPPENED NATURALLY SO IM EXEMPT RIGHT?

Last edited:
BOOK OF CORAL PROPAGATION by; Anthony Calfo. it is about propagation and much more. very good book i think but may be a little intense for the beginner. anyways will answer many and most questions on propagation, fragin, attachment, and growout.

The pieces that have dropped may just form into new coral. just watch and be patient. That is one form of reporduction, however, make sure something has not caused the break offs . keep us posted. on the progress and pics if possible. You can leave the droped pieces where they are at if they are not in a place where you do not want them, other wise you can place a small piece of flat rock near the mother piece and lay them back down on the new flat rock or glue them to the rock. I would just lay them on the removable flat piece until they attach and then slowly move to where i wanted them. let us know how it goes.

well ,it seemed like the branches were growing very fast which sounds weird but the two smaller pieces are going to be sold if they servive the next month to a buddy of mine im going to try to stay away (dont impulse buy)from this spieces for now and maybe go twords another easyer coral a symbolic type but its great to know i can keep up and care for one now,not the best pick for those shy of maintance but if you can get past the first month your good to go but that first month can be tough finding the place it likes.
john do you own any sea fans?im going to by a dozen flat rocks for future use.thanks

Last edited:
I know you asked John,but anyway I just got my first one(purple) a couple of weeks ago.it seems to be feeding.I am hoping the place I put it has enough flow.I will post a picture tonight

www.garf.org.

Great informational site on fragging etc if you just want to poke around....

I don't have the book that john suggested, but anything anthony calfo writes is always top notch.... I have read tons of his posts on Reef Central, etc.

thanks,97 great suggestion ,mini you have picked one of the better trees,fans what ever out of the group its a symbolic one if im not mistakin try placing in a semi shaded area with current coming from both directions right past the coral or alge will start grow on it im sure you know but i had some what of a problem for me i bought mine on a impulse buy as we call it so i had to learn hard way once again (thanks)im going to try in buy some of those arch rocks those look coo thanks for the site.
:D

Back